No citation styles, no quick copy available

Hi, I just submitted a report with the report ID: 322199762. I need to submit a proposal, but Zotero does not add any citations into my Word Documents. When I go to Preferences, the style repository is empty; also I am not able to copy references with quick copy. I am using Zotero 5.0.44 on my Mac (Sierra, 10.12.6) Before the update I did not have any trouble.

I restarted Zotero several times. I restarted my computer. I tried to install styles. I tried to reset the style repository. Nothing worked. Could you please help?

Best,
Swantje
  • edited April 8, 2018
    Invalid or missing translator metadata JSON object in ACL (2018-01-20 15-23-06).js
    Unix error 1 during operation remove on file /Users/[…]/sciebo/zotero/translators/ACL (2018-01-20 15-23-06).js (Operation not permitted)
    It looks there are some serious problems in your Zotero translators folder — you have what appear to be conflicts and file access problems.

So I would start by closing Zotero and deleting 'translators' from your Zotero data directory.
  • edited April 8, 2018
    Unix error 1 during operation remove on file /Users/[…]/sciebo/zotero/storage/DV5ZTZMD/[…].pdf (Operation not permitted)
    Actually, it's your whole data directory, and I see now that you have it in a cloud storage directory (Sciebo). You have to move it out of there to use Zotero.
  • Thank you. I will try this.
  • Hi again, I am in the process of transferring all my files from the sciebo directory to my home comupter directory. This will take a while. But I am really anxious that as a result of the measure, I will not be able to access my files with Papership from my Ipad, as well es from the university computer in my office. In the past this has been no problem, since I used sciebo. Any advice?
  • You should set up Zotero syncing if you have not already done so (I believe you may have considering that you could use Papership):
    http://zotero.org/support/sync
  • I did set up Zotero syncing again (I had done so before) and after pressing the button "check server" I get an ok. But no syncing happens. I closed Zotero and reopened it. But still no sync. Did I miss something?
  • Syncing occurs automatically in the background. You can manually start a sync by clicking the green spinning arrow in the upper right of the Zotero window.
  • Yes, but should I not be able to see a Zotero folder on my sciebo-cloud? Also: Papership lets me know that I can't find any files via sciebo
  • Ok. I just realized that there are some files synced in the Sciebo-Zotero-Sync-folder. But only those which I added or changed today. What do I do with the other more than tousand entries?
  • I'm not quite sure why you're expecting Sciebo/Zotero sync? Do you have Sciebo set up as a webDAV server?
  • Yes, I did set up Sciebo as the webDAV server. My thought was that Zotero would place copies in the Zotero folder on Sciebo, but maybe this was a misunderstanding. Fact is, that I can't access my files when I use Papership - only those who have been changed today.https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/305854?#
  • Papership has not been updated by its developer is some time, and it uses an outdated version of the Zotero API. There have been numerous reports of unreliable syncing with Papership. If you have the WebDAV server set up and syncing across multiple computers, then this would be an issue with Papership specifically. You will need to contact them, but I wouldn't be optimistic about getting a response. The fact that it was working previously was a coincidence and had nothing to do with storing your database in Sciebo (Papership would not have been accessing your files through there but through the Zotero WebDAV system).
  • @swantje1974: Just to clarify this a bit, there are two separate things here — there's a cloud storage folder and there's WebDAV access. You might have set up Sciebo to provide WebDAV, in which case you can instruct Zotero and PaperShip to use that in the Sync preferences (and it'll create various .prop and .zip files on your WebDAV server), but that's different from storing your Zotero data directory directly in the cloud storage folder, which you definitely don't want to do.

As for PaperShip, as noted above it's no longer supported by the developer, but I believe there are some threads on getting it to work (possibly by creating a lastsync.txt file manually in the WebDAV directory).
  • Hi to everybody and thank you very much vor your ongoing support. I found a "solution" that seems to work. I observed that for the new files after adding files, the .prop and .zip files appear in the WebDAV server. Therefore I copied those that were in the Zotero folder on my computer to the WebDAV server. I can now access all files from Papership and when I mark files in Papership it also syncs to my Zotero library.

Since I do not have technical knowledge in these matters at all, I hope I did not destroy anything. But so far everything works fine.