How can I export my lists to print out in word?

Is there a way to export my files and library so I can print it out at a word document? If not in Zotero then what program or app do I need to use?

Thanks!
  • print out in what form? You can just select all items from "My Library" and "Create Bibliography" -- would that work?
  • Hi- Thanks,

I need to print a reading list for my qualifying exams so I need to export it into a word doc.

Your suggestion sounds like it would work but when I go into the library or a collection all it allows me to do is "copy bibliography", not "create bibliography".

I'm using the desktop version
  • Are you using the Zotero software or are you on the website?
  • I'm using the software
  • sorry, I missed that above.
    So in this order:
    1. Click on "My Library" (or any collection you want to print a ref list from) on the right
    2. Click in the middle panel and use ctrl+a (cmd+a on a mac) to select all
    3. Right-click (ctrl+click on a Mac) in the middle panel and select "Create Bibliography"
    4. In the dialog that opens select your prefered citation style and RTF as the export format
    5. Save the file when prompted
    6. Open in Word
  • So many thanks! I would have never found it. That is perfect.

Now how do I get the retrieved from out of it? I am using APA style and don't need that part of the citation. How did it get in there and why would I want to use?

Thanks!
  • Do you have an example? It'd typically be included in an APA references taken from the web (in line with APA style).
  • You can replace that URL in your zotero data with this much shorter one:
    http://summit.syr.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=2290320

But as that is not actually a full text link, I would just delete the URL from your zotero data.
  • Thank you bwiernik! I have been so crazed with trying to get caught up that I panic and can't think. Now I see right there that I can uncheck that. Thank you for your patience on here!
  • But wait, when I uncheck it the comment says it will still include URL's for articles, journals and newspaper items that don't have a page range.

Will I have to manually go through and take those away or add page ranges to them?

Thanks Again
  • Right, I doubt that check box will help you much. It doesn't, e.g., at all affect URLs for books such as the one above.

I don't think there's a way around removing URLs from items where they don't belong, I'm afraid.

(Btw. -- how did you add this to Zotero? Zotero wouldn't include a URL when importing that item)
  • Also, you do know that SU library teaches classes on and has various librarians that'll help you with Zotero, right? So while we're happy to help, you can get in-person help easily (assuming you're at SU)
  • Ok yeah I think I'm going to have to take them out manually. The ones with the URL came from a list I made through my university's library system so when I exported it to Zotero, that's the information it brought over.

Thanks so much for your help and patience. I found some good tutorials so I am going to take the time and watch those instead of panicking on here!
  • Hey adamsmith! Ok I will work on that this week. Yes I am at SU and so relieved that the library knows Zotero. I had a tutor that recommended it to me at the end of last year and I was wondering if he was still around, but now I will use the librarians.

more thanks!