Zotero 5.0.43 doesn't work with Word 2011 14.7.2 (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Hi

I'm experienced with EndNote but just trialling Zotero to see if it would be better for a new project where I'll be doing a lot of web and factiva searching as well as PubMed. I like the interface and the very easy way of creating records direct from the sources I mention. But I can't get it to insert citations in word. The Zotero toolbar is there in Word and in Zotero I have installed the microsoft word add-in, but when I go to inset citation I get the message 'the style you have selected does not appear to be valid ...'

I also have a query about the whole dropbox issue. I have used Endnote for many years in 3 different locations on three different iMacs. No other users. I have endnote app on each computer and store my libraries in dropbox. I've never had a problem. But it sounds like I can't do the same in Zotero ... right?
  • when I go to inset citation I get the message 'the style you have selected does not appear to be valid ...'
    What style have you selected?
    I have endnote app on each computer and store my libraries in dropbox. I've never had a problem. But it sounds like I can't do the same in Zotero ... right?
    It's actually entirely the same — what you're doing is explicitly discouraged for EndNote as well. In both cases, and in most similar database-backed software, it's very likely to lead to database corruption.

The way to do this is to use Zotero syncing (just as they tell you to use EndNote syncing).
  • Thanks
    The word problem occurs with all the styles that drop down
  • This happens in a new document? Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero startup through that error?
  • Yes a new document. I'm home from the office now, and I haven't yet installed Zotero here, so I'll do it Monday. Thanks so much
  • This is weird. Now insert citation works perfectly, with all the styles! And with a new version of word too!

Thanks for your help anyway