Style Error for SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd ed.: Series Should Output in Roman

Series outputs in italics, but it should output in roman.

Here is the general convention: “Series titles are set roman; titles of multivolume works are set italic” (SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd ed. [SBLHS2], §6.1.3.5). Abbreviations follow the same convention (§8.4).

SBLHS2 cites series names and volumes differently than multivolume works. The former are set in roman and follow the convention [Series Abbreviation] [Number]. The latter are set in italics and follow different conventions (see below).

–––––––––––––––––––––––

For reference, here are the examples of a multivolume work from §6.2.20:

5. Adolf Harnack, [i]History of Dogma[/i], trans. Neil Buchanan, 7 vols. (Boston: Little, Brown, 1896–1905).

9. Harnack, [i]History of Dogma[/i], 2:126.

Harnack, Adolf. [i]History of Dogma[/i]. Translated from the 3rd German ed. by Neil Buchanan. 7 vols. Boston: Little, Brown, 1896–1905.

Here are the examples of a titled volume in multivolume work from §6.2.21:

5. Bruce W. Winter and Andrew D. Clarke, eds., [i]The Book of Acts in Its Ancient Literary Setting[/i], vol. 1 of [i]The Book of Acts in Its First Century Setting[/i], ed. Bruce W. Winter (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993), 25.

16. Winter and Clarke, [i]Book of Acts[/i], 25.

Winter, Bruce W., and Andrew D. Clarke, eds. [i]The Book of Acts in Its Ancient Literary Setting[/i]. Vol. 1 of [i]The Book of Acts in Its First Century Setting[/i]. Edited by Bruce W. Winter. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993.

Here are the examples of a work from a series from §6.2.24:

12. Otfried Hofius, [i]Paulusstudien[/i], WUNT 51 (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1989), 122.

14. Hofius, [i]Paulusstudien[/i], 124.

Hofius, Otfried. [i]Paulusstudien[/i]. WUNT 51. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1989.
  • @adamsmith I don’t think this is possible to elegantly fix with current CSL considering that both series titles and titles of multivolume collections would be collection-title, correct? Unless possibly we treat Series as a series title if number is supplied but as a Multivolume title when only a volume is supplied.

I believe nickbart discussed multivolume-title versus collection-title (series) on xbiblio a few years ago.
  • Even if current CSL cannot be fixed, the Series field should output in roman. It currently outputs as [I][Series Abbreviation] [Number][/I].

The italics should be removed for several reasons:
    1) The field appears to be mapped for citing a work in a series. The output above follows the convention for citing a work from a series except for the italics.
    2) It seems most intuitive for the Series and Series Number fields to output as series and series number, as opposed to multivolume title and number.

(@bwiernik, I don't think the solution you proposed will work because more than two scenarios are possible: (1) A work could be an unnumbered volume in a series. (2) It could be a numbered volume in a series. (3) It could be a untitled volume in a multivolume work. (4) It could be a titled volume in a multivolume work. (5) It could be a titled volume in a multivolume work that is also numbered or unnumbered volume in a series. Zotero handles 1–3 fine. The problem is 4–5. All of this is beyond the point of my original post.)
  • @dougherty How do you enter a multivolume work?
  • @dougherty, @adamsmith asked me to take a look. I'm either not understanding the problem or not able to reproduce it.

When I test a series citation using the SBLHS2 example citation, I get the following output:

Otfried Hofius, [i]Paulusstudien[/i], WUNT 51 (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1989).

I believe this is working correctly as it matches what I see in §6.2.24 in my accordance version of SBLHS2.

As I read your original post, I'm wondering if you're thinking of "Paulusstudien" as the series title that should be roman? I believe that's the title of the work that should be italicized and WUNT as the series abbreviation should be roman.

Again, I may be misunderstanding. I'm about 3 weeks away from graduating from seminary, so my mind is exploding with other things. ;)

I agree the way series and multivolume function in zotero/csl is somewhat convoluted, but I believe everything should be working correctly as I tested this part pretty carefully (it was one of the most difficult parts to get to work). Any clarification you could provide if I'm misunderstanding will help me troubleshoot further.