Unable to add bibliography after merging documents

I'm trying to combine four MS word (version 16.9.1) documents, all of which have been written have Zotero citations in Chicago 17th edition with Ibid footnotes style. I'm able to add a bibliography in each individual document, but after I merge everything into a new document, I'm unable to get anything. I'm copying and pasting everything into a new document, then selecting the Chicago 17th/ibid style in preferences, then going to the end of the document and hitting the "add bibliography" button. Nothing happens. Sometimes when I select the add button it brings the zotero library to the front. I'm using Zotero 5.0.42. All of my individual documents are set to automatically refresh citations.
  • What is happening is that when you combine the documents, there is a very large number of Zotero citations, so updating the document (e.g., to Refresh the bibliography or change styles) will take a while. If you just let it run, you should find that it eventually completes.

Note also that you will want to delete the individual bibliographies from each document before merging, otherwise you will have multiple complete bibliographies throughout the document.