"Import Complete" message is not dismissed

I'm running Zotero 5.0.42 x86_64 on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
After successful importing RIS or ENW files, the message "Import Complete" is displayed on top of all windows (for each import action).
The problem is that the message is displayed on-top (so it will take screen space even when you switch to another program), it is not dismissed automatically (after some interval), can not be closed (no close button) and after some imports there will be several of them. The only way to get rid of them is by closing Zotero which is a workaround but not very practical.

Can this be fixed? (I'm not a developer so please don't ask for patches)

Thanks!
  • edited March 31, 2018
    It disappears for me. Can you provide a Debug ID for an import that leaves it open?
  • Sure!
    D1563410817
    BTW When the Debug message was dismissed the "Import Complete" also closed
    Another detail: If Zotero is closed by clicking on the Close button (X on the Zotero window) the message remains on screen even after Zotero is closed. If Zotero is closed through menu File > Quit then all messages are closed.
    Hope this helps!
  • After restarting Zotero, if you create a new empty item, export it to RIS, and then reimport it, does the popup stay open? If not, can you cut down your RIS file to the smallest bit that reproduces this?
  • Yes, the problem still occurs when importing the empty RIS.
    But I was able to realize the sequence of events that cause the lock:
    after importing click on the imported reference and then on any field in the Info. Result: the popup is not dismissed. And after the first one is "locked" all imports in the same session will remain on.

If you just import and wait 4-5 seconds with no further action after clicking on Open in the Import dialog the popup is closed.
  • I can't reproduce that:

1) Create an empty Book item.

2) Right-click, Export Item…, save as RIS with nothing checked.

3) File -> Import…, choose file, click Open.

4) Import Complete appears. While it's showing, click on (empty) Title field.

5) Import Complete disappears a couple seconds later.

Tested on Ubuntu 17.10, using the official tarball from zotero.org.
  • Yes, these are the same steps I'm taking. If you simply click on any field and then stop the message will disappear. But if you are actually editing and keep working for the time it takes for the message to disappear (4-5 seconds), then it will be locked. If this does not occur then it could be a Ubuntu 14.04 specific (or my laptop...) problem.
  • We can see if other people can reproduce it. Just to confirm, are you running the tarball from zotero.org or a packaged version?
  • I am now running the 5.0.43 tarball from zotero.org and the problem still occurs
  • @dstillman, this bug seems to be solved on version 5.0.45 (or some update to Ubuntu fixed it). In any case it is no longer an issue. Thanks!
  • I'm running into the same problem with Zotero 5.0.69 tarball running on Ubuntu 18.04.2. After having set Zotero as the default application for Endnote (.enw) files downloaded from Google Scholar, opening such files brings up an "Import File" (Do you want to import the file) dialog in Zotero. Clicking Ok causes an "Import Complete" pop-up to appear at the highest level (in front of all windows) in the center of the screen and not go away. However, I've found that when I switch the Zotero app to my primary desktop (I'm using two monitors) this problem seems to resolve.