ZOTFILE - Impossible to change the place of the files

Hi,
I just downloaded Zotfile and after 2 hours lost searching what I was doing wrong on forums and websites, I finally post my problem:

Impossible to custom the location of my pdf files, they continue to go in the zotero default file for download.

> General Settings > Source folder for attacching new files > "C:\Users\ustilisateur\Downloads

OK

> Location of Files > Custom Location > "C:\Users\utilisateur\Documents\Thèse

But whatever I do, the pdfs are still stored in "C:\Users\utilisateur\Zotero\storage\" within a new file created for eachone.

If this doesn't work, don't know what to do with ZotFile...
Can you help me please?
  • ZotFile doesn't automatically move existing files -- are you saying this also doesn't work for new files?
  • *it is not thèse but these, so no problem caused by the accentuation
  • Yes, also for new files
  • Thanks for the very quick answer!
  • What I did, if useful:
    Until now, I was using Zotero Standalone for my bibliography, without any pdfs attached because I wanted to have then directly accessible in my finder.
    So I had a same "tree" of folders on my desktop to keep the pdfs. But too complicated when I decide to change the structure of this tree...
    And I discovered ZotFile, so my idea is to rebuild my bibliography with pdfs:
    C:\Users\utilisateur\Documents\These
  • For example, on Science Direct:
    I click on >Save to Zotero (Science Direct)
    It goes with the pdf in Zotero, I see the file attached ant it has been renamed. But now, the pdf is in

C:\Users\utilisateur\Zotero\storage\

And even after >Manage Attachment> renaming it again, and again..

Thanks for your help
  • And are those PDFs attached to Zotero items? ZotFile doesn't move top-level PDFs
  • which Zotfile version? Which Zotero version? And you have ZotFile installed in Zotero Standalone, right?
  • Sorry but don't know what is a top-level PDFs.

When I click on "Save to Zotero" on Science Direct for example, Zotero create directly an item in my library, with the pdf attached below. So, don't know if this is a "top-level PDFs"...
  • Or, second option:
    I have a reference in my librairy, without any pdf.
    I click "Attached stored copy of file", I attach my pdf which comes from my desktop for exemple, and I finally find it there:

C:\Users\utilisateur\Zotero\storage\

And not in the specified folder
  • (2)
    You said that "ZotFile doesn't automatically move existing files" but I read on few blogs that by following this procedure
    >Manage Attachments >Rename
    it is possible to move the files to the new specified folder.
    Isn't it true?
  • Yes, rename should work, but that's not "automatic". If the PDF is not attached to an item then it's a top-level item, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. See my other questions above:
    which Zotfile version? Which Zotero version? And you have ZotFile installed in Zotero Standalone, right?
  • ZOTERO 5.0.41

Zotfile, i just downloaded it, so last one
  • Zotfile 5.0.7
  • Adamsmith,
    so, no solution?
  • No one else is reporting this, so I´m still suspecting you´re doing something wrong, but I´m not sure exactly how to tell. Could you post a screenshot of the general preferences of Zotfile somewhere (Dropbox, imgur) and link to it here? You can black out the personal parts of the filepaths.
  • I'm having a very similar problem. I dont think you're the only one.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/71162/pdf-drag-n-drop-problem
  • Yes, I also think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't understand why.
    Here the link:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ccc604c2eb8d54da52bd04ca2f739e3420180330153708/ac29c7e4eed1d3c22e13d4422c2af4b820180330153708/d1cf9a

To remind, my goal is to have my pdfs there : C:\Users\utilisateur\Documents\These

And would be even better with a \%c connection, I mean in similar folders as the ones in my zotero library
  • Adamsmith,
    You had a look to my documents?
  • Yes, I did. This all looks fine to me so I'm not sure what's going on. I'd report it to the ZotFile developer with the relevant error information as described here: http://zotfile.com/#reporting-a-bug
  • OK, thanks a lot adamsmith