Report ID: 1918478990

Word crashes every time I tried to insert a citation.
  • Does it crash if you only have one Word document open at a time?
  • Yes it crashes when I have the document I'm working on opened. However, it works fine when I tried it on a new blank document
  • By crash do you mean Word closes completely? How big is the document you are working on? How many citations does it have?
  • Yes it closes completely. For now it only has 7 pages of content. I've tested several options (citing at certain paragraphs, citing in a table, citing at a caption). I found that the citation fails at certain paragraphs, all tables and all captions.

But, I tried to cite at parts where the citation works and then cut and paste the citation to the paragraphs I wanted and it kinda worked. Not sure if there will be any complications in the future though.
  • Do you have citations in tables and captions? Does it work fine if you remove those?
  • Yes I do have citations in tables and captions. Word crashed when I tried to cite at these places. I inserted the citations at places where the citation works and then cut and pasted the citation at the tables and captions. Turns out okay.
  • I have a similar issue. I try to add a citation and I get a pop up that says "Microsoft Word isn't responding right now. Do you want to wait, or quit?" If I click 'wait' - nothing happens. And if I hit 'quit', Word crashes.
  • @lexybrooks does it work well in a new document? Do you have citations in tables and/or captions?
  • No - I've tried creating new and it still has the same issue. I don't have any citations in tables or captions.
  • What version of Word?
  • I am using Word version 15.27 (161010).
  • You should upgrade to the latest version of Word 2016, which currently is 16.10
  • I have now upgraded to the latest version of Word but the crash is still happening. I can neither add a citation nor add/edit bibliography
  • How big is the document you are working with? How many citations? Does it happen in a new document?