Short (alternate) Titles issue with Chicago style

I am having problems using the short titles for the hearings in the Chicago footnote style (with ibid). On subsequent entries, the short titles are not appearing.

Particularly this is an issue for me because there are many hearing that I am referencing, so I need to insert alternate (short) titles so that the specific hearing is evident without the date.
  • Could you give a couple of examples?
  • I am having this same issue.

Full title "Nancy Isenberg, White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America"
    On subsequent footnotes it is appearing only as "Isenberg" (short title white trash does not appear)

It is also editing out the short title from older documents if zotero is refreshed in that document.
  • This sounds like you're just seeing Chicago's new ibid. rules in action. According to the 17th edition,

1. "Nancy Isenberg, White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America"
    2. Isenberg

is correct. You should see

1. Nancy Isenberg, White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America
    2. Vance, Hillbilly Elegy
    3. Isenberg, White Trash
    though
  • Hmm - That is a problem in the humanities then, as we are all generally still using 16A. Is there an option to select Chicago 16 instead? I don't know anyone who is using 17.
  • I doubt that's true for "the humanities" in general, but anyway, the most commonly used 16th edition Chicago styles are still available:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition
    If you do want to use 16th edition without ibid, that one is no longer available, but in that case I'd encourage you to seriously consider using the 17th edition which makes much more sense.

If you don't want to do that there is at least one thread here from a couple of months back where I walk someone through getting the old no ibid style.
  • On this same topic, I noticed that Turabian 9 has been released recently to accommodate the changes in Chicago 17. Will a new CSL be available?
  • edited May 7, 2018
    oh joy. Generally yes, but we're lagging behind with such updates, so this may well take a good bit of time.

Ticket here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/issues/3496
  • Hello, I am also looking for Turabian 9. Has there been any development on this yet? Thank you so much!