export notes with added quotation marks

Thank you first for creating the wonderful tool Zotero is.
I wonder if it is possible to preserve the quotation marks added with the help of the quotes button inside of notes when copying the text to the clipboard. While color, italic, font size etc. are preserved those quotation marks are not.
  • What are you copying to and from? Zotero is just using HTML mark up. If you copy a blockquote from one note and paste it into another it should persist. f you are trying to paste these into Word the behavior is most likely different. I think it will most likely strip out the blockquote. If you want to carry quotations to Word you are probably better off just keying them in.
  • Thank you for your comment. So what are the blocknotes useful for when they do not persist outside Zotero? Obviously I want to use my quotes outside and would find that feature quite handy. Maybe there could something be done about it? Thanks again.
  • What happens outside of Firefox is outside of Zotero's control. If you copy a note, the HTML should be copied to the clipboard. (The exception is on OS X, where HTML copying unfortunately isn't supported by Firefox. You can still copy the raw HTML from the HTML view, however.) But how other applications deal with it is up to them. Checking quickly, OpenOffice 3.1 appears to properly assign the blockquote the Quotations style. Word 2003 appears to strip it.

The quotation marks you see in Zotero, however, are added dynamically using CSS. Whether or not this is a good idea is debatable, but any stylistic treatment wouldn't persist outside of Zotero and would depend on an external stylesheet.

You can also just generate reports from your notes, which will create web pages formatting them properly that you could then save, edit, and publish. More configurable report formats are planned.
  • Thank you very much for these fast and detailed informations (your support is incredible!). I guess I should compile my notes via OpenOffice now. Btw creating reports is formating the quotations properly but without quotation marks. Maybe preserving them could be an option? Again, thanks for helping, appreciate it.
  • Ticket created for report formatting—thanks.