Is it possible to sync two user accounts on the same device without compromising data storage?

My husband and I are sharing the same computer. He set up a Zotero account about a year ago and has added quite a few references to it.

I have just tried to set up my own Zotero account on the same computer using Chrome- it's asking me to unsync my husband to be able to sync to mine but it will mean deleting all his data which I want to avoid doing..

Is it possible to have two users on the same device without compromising each other's data?
  • Use two separate OS user accounts — which is a much better way to share a computer anyway — and be sure to close Zotero before switching accounts if leaving the other user logged in.

(It's possible to avoid needing to close Zotero before switching if you adjust some settings (extensions.zotero.httpServer.port and connector.url) in Zotero and Chrome, but if you're using the word processor plugin you'll still run into trouble. Either way you can ignore the part on that page about the data directory as long as you're using a separate OS account.)