slowness/keeps automatically changing way of referencing (plug-in word for mac v16.10)

edited March 5, 2018
Hi,

I'm working on Word for Mac (v16.10) on a large-ish file and Zotero has significantly slowed down recently.

I am aware that the length of the file and the number of citations can cause this kind of problem, but it seems as if something else is going on, too. I can see two possible causes (i.e. two things that seem to be going wrong).

1. Whenever Zotero is taking a long time, it seems to be going through a certain set of citations (seemingly always the same citations), where it keeps changing whether to incorporate two papers by the same authors from different dates into one (authorA date1, date2), or to keep them separate (authorA date1; authorA date2).

2. I have made a personalized .csl file to incorporate chronological ordering into Chicago (author-date) style, since I couldn't seem to find any author-date style that did chronological ordering. The same word doc that I am having issues with also keeps randomly deciding to no longer use my .csl file and switches back to non-chronological ordering.

It's not a huge problem, but it's causing me some delays while writing, which is ... annoying.

Hope someone maybe has some thoughts on how to help me, thanks in advance!

Lisa
  • 1. Whenever Zotero is taking a long time, it seems to be going through a certain set of citations (seemingly always the same citations), where it keeps changing whether to incorporate two papers by the same authors from different dates into one (authorA date1, date2), or to keep them separate (authorA date1; authorA date2).
    Are you saying, that if you refresh the citations in the document, you have a citation going back and forth between the two? Can you reproduce this in isolation in a new document?
    2. I have made a personalized .csl file to incorporate chronological ordering into Chicago (author-date) style, since I couldn't seem to find any author-date style that did chronological ordering. The same word doc that I am having issues with also keeps randomly deciding to no longer use my .csl file and switches back to non-chronological ordering.
    You should ensure that you have given your stylesheet a unique <id> and name, otherwise it will be overwritten every time there are updates to the official style.