Using Harvard in text citation for articles and footnotes for other types of references

I usually use OSCOLA for references as I am a legal academic. However, I am producing a report for an external funder who specifies that Harvard (Anglia Ruskin) is the required referencing style. This works fine for articles but it's not so great for citing cases or legislation for example. So, is there a way of using Harvard in-text citation for the articles I cite but keeping cases and legislation references in footnotes?

I also still need to be able to cross-refer to cases/legislation in the footnotes as I cite these multiple times.

The document is currently in OSCOLA. If I change the referencing style to Harvard (set doc prefs) will I have to go through the entire doc to put the cases/legislation back into footnotes? And if I do so, is it possible to use zotero to put references directly into footnotes created normally through Word (so that they update automatically?) or do word footnotes have to be entered manually (and cross-referenced/updated manually)?

Hope that makes sense!
  • You can set the style to Harvard, then put Zotero citations to legislation, etc. into footnotes you create manually. Be sure to choose “Store Citations Using: Fields”, rather than Boomarks,
    In the Zotero document preferences.
  • Thank you! So, putting zotero citations into manually created footnotes just means creating the footnote and then putting the cursor in it and then inserting the citation as you would normally?

And then can you update as normal (ie highlighting all footnotes and clicking zotero refresh)?
  • An alternative, if you deal regularly with legal materials, would be to explore the use of a reference manager designed to handle the special requirements of the field.
  • Yes, though you don't need to highlight the footnotes. Zotero Refresh updates the whole document regardless of selection. But if you are commonly doing legal citations, I would strongly recommend checking out Juris-M that fbennett links to, which has much expanded support for legal citations.