Very odd bug on MacOS

When I have Zotero running and start up Safari, Zotero repeatedly pops up the Add/Edit Citation modal dialog. I dismiss it, and it pops up again. AFAICT, some keystroke is somehow "bleeding over" from Safari into Zotero. It seems to happen only when Safari is the application in focus.

I don't use Safari normally; I only use it to read Facebook (because I'm paranoid, and I don't want FB to follow my browsing history). So I haven't intentionally installed any Zotero related plugin.

I don't know how to track this down, partly because I don't know how to *normally* pop up that dialog. But if someone could tell me what keystroke or other shortcut does this, and whether it's from Zotero or from an add-on, maybe I could figure it out.
Thanks!
  • Do you have any Word processor open, while doing this? If you find a way to reproduce it, or if it happens regularly enough, you could submit a Debug ID from Zotero.

You will need to enable logging and wait for the citation dialog to appear, dismiss it and then submit the log.
  • I do have Word open, although this does not happen when Safari is closed. I will collect a Debug ID, and then see if I can replicate the behavior when Word is closed.

Looking at Word, I can see how the Zotero toolbar triggers this behavior. Presumably there is something (applescript?) that is used by the Zotero plugin to trigger this behavior in Zotero proper. What is it? That might give some insight into what's going wrong for me.
  • I got a debug ID with Word, Safari, and Zotero all running: D676748957.

I'll see if I can replicate the error with Word not running.
  • The behavior still occurs, after I have quit Word. D1774958114
  • edited March 3, 2018
    {better-bibtex} CAYW.getDocument {"id":12} {
    It's something BBT is doing.
  • Would it be possible for me to get a copy of that log?
  • (5)(+0022709): GET /better-bibtex/cayw?format=cite&clipboard=yes HTTP/1.1
    Host: localhost:23119
    Connection: keep-alive
    Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/604.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko)
    Accept-Language: en-us
    DNT: 1
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

(3)(+0000004): {better-bibtex} CAYW.document: {
    "type": "csl",
    "path": "/Users/[…]/Zotero/styles/apa.csl",
    "fileName": "apa.csl",
    "styleID": "http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa",
    "url": "http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa",
    "title": "American Psychological Association 6th edition",
    "updated": "2018-01-19 15:04:50",
    "locale": null,
    "_class": "in-text",
    "_usesAbbreviation": false,
    "_hasBibliography": true,
    "_version": "1.0",
    "categories": "author-date",
    "source": null,
    "hidden": false
    }

(3)(+0000000): {better-bibtex} CAYW.document: {
    "style": {
    "styleID": "http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa",
    "locale": "en-US",
    "hasBibliography": true,
    "bibliographyStyleHasBeenSet": true
    },
    "prefs": {
    "noteType": 0,
    "fieldType": "Field",
    "automaticJournalAbbreviations": true
    },
    "sessionID": "DgwGaORW2N"
    }

(3)(+0000004): {better-bibtex} CAYW.getDocument {"id":1} {
    "fields": [],
    "data": "",
    "meta": {
    "revision": 0,
    "created": 1520014237214,
    "version": 0
    },
    "$loki": 1
    }

(3)(+0000183): Integration: Retrieved 1 fields in 0; Infinity fields/second
    Unless you have some Safari extension I'm not aware of, my best guess is that @rpgoldman at one point loaded that URL manually and it's now showing up in Favorites on the new tab page?

Though even more weirdly it later shows up with User-Agent: "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 11_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/604.1.38 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.0 Mobile/15A372 Safari/604.1", and I have no idea why that would be.
  • So I don't know why Safari is calling that URL (to check whether it's live perhaps), but the CAYW picker popping up when that URL is called is the expected behavior.
  • (wait -- with "you have some Safari extension" you mean "emilianoeheyns has put out a Safari extension"? The answer to that is no, I have not created any kind of browser extensions)