"Data directory migration in progress"

I accepted an upgrade for Zotero standalone (running in Chrome, Windows 10), but the message "Data directory migration in progress" has been showing for almost an hour now, and Task Manager reports Zotero as monopolizing large chunks of CPU, Memory, and Disk. How long is this supposed to take?
  • So, first, just to clarify, that's not a normal (or recent) upgrade — that would be the Zotero 4.0 to 5.0 upgrade, which was released last summer. You've posted about Zotero 5.0 before, so I assume this is on a computer that you hadn't upgraded yet?

While the actual database upgrade could take some time for a large database, the migration step — which is what should be happening when it says this, though I suppose it's possible it could be saying the wrong thing — would normally be instantaneous, since it's just relocating your data directory out of the Firefox or Zotero profile directory to the root of your home directory. It should only take longer if you have some unorthodox system setup where your previous data directory (e.g., in the Firefox profile directory) is on a different disk from the root of your home directory (e.g., symlinked to another drive). Might that be the case here?