US Geological Survey citation-generator file

We're using the USGS citation generator, but it seems that for items filed under the "Map" document type, the citation that is generated does not include the scale field. In actual USGS style guides, that field needs to be displayed for Maps. Is there a way for us to customize or edit the USGS citation file or even create our own organizational citation style file to correct this? Or do we need to contact USGS folks and have them submit a corrected Zotero citation file? Thanks!
  • When you say "USGS citation generator" -- is that a tool or do you just mean Zotero's USGS style?

The style needs to get fixed, but we can do that. It's currently just using the Extra field for scale, but that's no good.
  • @cgsadmin

Can you give a sample citation how it's currently looking and how it should be looking?

I can then have a look and get a fix in.
  • Just the Zotero USGS style file --

Looks like:

Widmann, B.L., and Miersemann, U., 2001, OF-01-05 Geologic Map of the Georgetown Quadrangle, Clear Creek County, Colorado: Open File Reports.

Should append the scale (I used the Utah Geological Survey's file following to demo, but...):

Widmann, B.L., and Miersemann, U., 2001, OF-01-05 Geologic Map of the Georgetown Quadrangle, Clear Creek County, Colorado: Open File Reports, scale 1:24,000.
  • oh, and THANKS!
  • @damnation -- I'm taking this; I already know what to do and it's just one word change
  • Done. This should show up as an update on zotero.org/styles within an hour or so and you can then update from the General tab of the Zotero preferences. The style will also auto-update for all users within 24hs.
    You should bput 1:24,000 into Zotero's scale field. The style will add "scale" automatically.
  • FYI - for the big picture: https://pubs.usgs.gov/sta7/sta7refs.html -- they have many examples, the map ones are #30-35 at the bottom of the page...

Adam, in the examples I gave, we had put the scales in the map products, but weren't showing up in citations -- that's why I contacted you. I assume your comment above is regarding the citation use *after* your fix...
  • Yes, and the fix is now live.