Command Z not working + deleted note text

Hello all,

I was working on 2 different notes in 2 different windows (using the "edit in separate window" feature). I accidentally replaced the text of Note 1 with the text of Note 2 (I'd copied and pasted Note 2 for another reason, and mistakenly plopped it into the Note 1 window). When I tried to "Command Z" my way out of the situation, nothing happened. It seems, therefore, that I have overwritten Note 1 for all time. Is there a way to restore an earlier version of just Note 1? I am wary about restoring the entire library, fearing that I will lose a lot of very recent material I've added since the mishap with Note 1.

I should add that I haven't closed Zotero or Note 1's window.

Thanks for reading!
  • If you can find the note contents in the last automatic backup, you can just copy it to the clipboard and switch back to your more recent database.

If that doesn't work (which should only be the case if the last automatic backup is too old), we may be able to retrieve an earlier version of the note from sync logs if you email support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and an example of some of the content you'd be looking for.
  • Thanks for your help. I've duplicated my entire Zotero folder just in case––I don't trust myself to be able to duplicate the correct sqlite files… Does that mean I can't continue to follow the steps listed on the link you shared? Not sure if this is relevant, but I checked my online Zotero account and unfortunately Note 1 has been synced and is now blank. I didn't think to shut off auto-sync when the problem occurred.

Thanks again,
    AS
  • Everything I said above still applies.
  • Ok, I was able to restore a version of the lost notes that dates from last night. Still lost some of the note content, but it's better than nothing.

Just wondering why the Command Z feature doesn't work when editing notes in a separate window.

I appreciate your help, thanks.
  • It certainly should work — you can test it in a new note. Make sure you're using the latest version of Zotero (5.0.35.1). There were some fixes to Undo in a recent version from early January.