Style Error: Science Advances

edited February 20, 2018
The Science Advances instructions for authors says the following:

"Do not use op. cit., ibid., or et al. See below for details of citation style."

(http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/information-authors)

But the citation output does not list all authors, and uses et al..

E.g.:

Q. Chen et al., Pollutants in Plastics within the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. Environmental Science & Technology. 52, 446–456 (2018).
  • Science-advances is currently a dependent for Science.csl (guidelines: http://www.sciencemag.org/authors/instructions-preparing-initial-manuscript).
    Looks like we need a different style for sci-advances as the science.csl seems to have et al. rules?
  • edited February 21, 2018
    Actually, I think this issue stems from differences in how Science/Science Advances list references between print/pdf and html versions of articles.

For online full text, they display all author names. For print/pdf, they use et al..

I think that the Zotero Science style reflects the print version of the style, although for manuscript submission purposes, the online version may be more relevant.
  • Generally journals want the style they put into their pdfs. When I make styles I ALWAYS go by what's in the pdf, not in the online version. This one is fine then and you can ignore it.

• No. It is not fine and we can not ignore it. Science require submission in their online format, with all authors. Is there a style definition for that?
  • @damnation Science and its related journals has a much different citation style for submission than for publication. The “with titles” version of this style is what is used for submissions. It should have the et-al rules removed (and possibly be renamed to “submission” and “publication” or sinilar).
  • Are there any updates on this issue? Currently there is an error in the style science advances because in the bibliography the references still show et.al which is not correct.
  • We'll change this in Science but haven't yet.