Very slow startup

This discussion was created from comments split from: My Zotero is very slow. Please help..
  • edited February 17, 2018
    Dear all,

I have had the same issue for a few months. It is very slow to start the library in my Macbook pro: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7; ram 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

It was fine when I started to use the earliest Zotero5. But lately it has become very slow in Mac: sometimes it takes very long (>30 mins) and eventually says there is an error in loading the library; sometimes it takes 10-20 minutes, or even longer. Interestingly, after I turned on the debugging function to produce the debug report, it took a shorter time to load (about 10 mins). If this is true, I guess I could use this as a solution in the future.

My library is very large, but the situation is not bad at all on my desktop PC.

Here is my debug ID: D1314054860

I really appreciate if someone could help to take a look.

Thanks,
    Jack
  • (The original thread was about citing speed, but you seem to be referring to startup speed of Zotero, so I've split this into a separate thread.)
    User interface ready in 2946529 ms
    49 minutes to load is obviously extremely outside the bounds of what would be considered normal or acceptable, so something is very wrong here.

It may not help, but one thing you can try is running Check Database Integrity in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences, which (currently) will also rebuild your database and might speed it up. For a large database this can take a very long time, so I'd recommend letting it run overnight. Be sure to make a backup of your database first for good measure.