Add notes to attachments?

I would like to make notes on pdf files that I attach. Is there a way to do this? I've searched through the support and forums and can't seem to find an answer.
  • You can create notes in the PDF and after that import it in the Zotero by the Zotfile plugin (zotfile.com)
  • You should generally always work with proper Zotero items, rather than just the raw PDF files, in Zotero. Right-click on the PDF item and choose Retrieve Metadata for PDF. Then you can add as many notes as you want. In the future, it’s best to use the Save to Zotero button in your browser to add items to your library. See https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library

You can also add a note directly to the PDF attachment by typing in the large text box in the right pane when the PDF is selected.
  • So, after some experimentation it seems that many pdf's I find and use do not have associated metadata (much of my research happens outside of traditional reference databases). I did try creating a parent item for one of these pdf's, and this allowed me to have a place to create notes and add metadata which is helpful. Thanks for setting me on the right path!
  • LiborA, I'd like to try zotfile, but the instructions to download in Firefox require using "Save link as" but do not say where to save the file? And the installation instructions don't seem to apply (and yes, I have upgraded to Zotero 5, for which the instructions were supposedly written). Any additional guidance would be appreciated!
  • It doesn't matter where you save the file. You just need to be able to find it so you can install it from within Zotero. Not sure which installation instructions don't apply -- they're definitely correct for Zotero 5. What part isn't clear?
  • Sorry, sorry!--old eyes not working so well this morning. Didn't actually see the "Install Add-on from file" in the dropdown. And I wish I only didn't see it the first time I looked....

All well now and installed-thanks for your patience!