Style that generates HTML-URLs

edited February 16, 2018
Hello!

I'm looking for a citation style that supports my workflow of writing in Markdown and using pandoc to generate HTML. That HTML may be pasted into the `Text` editor of a WordPress post, or used as a static site. So, the style should generate `<a href...`-tags in the end. I read that Zotero can't do this by itself. So, if anyone can point me to a style that can, please do! Thanks :-)

Alternatively a questions: I started experimenting with that a while ago -- https://github.com/KonScience/Citation-Style -- but now, this results in lots of `<` in the HTML after `pandoc -f MARKDOWN -t HTML --bibliography... --csl...`. Is there some kind of double-conversion going on? `pandoc` appending the already HTML-citations to the markdown, before converting it to HTML again? If so, does anyone know any advice to avoid this?

Cheers!
  • edited February 16, 2018
    @katrinleinweber I don't want to complicate your situation, so you'll want to step carefully with this, but depending on your requirements, you might want to look at a WordPress plugin with citation support (Academic Bloggers Toolkit).
  • CSL is unable to produce custom html tags at this time -- a correctly working CSL processor will do exactly what pandoc-CSL is doing and escape all special characers (like <) when rendering html.

My current view is that the ZotPress approach to this is correct, i.e. that hyperlinking should be done through some sort of post-processing rather than in the citation style itself -- i.e. rather than write a new CSL style you should just be able to tell whatever is _rendering_ the citations "I want the URL hyperlinked" or "I want the title hyperlinked with the URL" ZotPress is currently the only tool I'm familiar with that does this, but there's no reason pandoc, Zotero, etc. couldn't do the same.
  • Thanks for the hints! I'll have to discuss with the blog's admin, though. That's why I looked for a(n WP-)independent solution.