I cannot install zotero

Dear all,
I downloaded zotero 5.0 for my mac. After clicking for installing, drag to application box, the zotero appears in application area but desktop. I tried to open it from application store, but the zotero closes unexpectedly.
Please kindly send me some instructions.
Thank you!
  • I'm not entirely clear on what's happening. You're saying you're double-clicking on Zotero in Applications to open it? What exactly happens when it closes unexpectedly?
  • After double-clicking, zotero was running then notified "Error" with the long technical information with two suggestions that are "quit" or "check for update". Of course, I press the later. It continues with the new note that "there are no update available..." for only button "Ok". I press "Ok". Zotero suddenly closed.
    Any advise, please!
  • The "Long technical information" would be something you'd need to include here so we can make sense of this -- if you can't copy&paste it, take a screenshots, post in to a free image hosting site (e.g. imgur.com, Dropbox) and link to it from here.
  • Please kindly find more information in the following link.
    https://imgur.com/a/0Oj6l
    Many thanks.
  • I'm guessing that you're trying to use a database that you last used with Juris-M, not Zotero.
  • What is Juris-M? In fact, I was using Zotero before, and uninstalled recently. Now I want to reinstall with no success as I said. However, I have no obstacle when installing zotero 5.0 on my laptop ran under Win system. What cannot I do so on my Macbook? I really need the same zotero app. on all my computers.
    Help me please.
  • I want to note that I can reach all my libraries on zotero installed on my Win laptop. Thanks.
  • https://juris-m.github.io/

Juris-M is a third-party fork of Zotero.

10067 is a database version from Juris-M, not from Zotero, so we can't help you with this database.

If you have Zotero (and it's actually Zotero, not Juris-M) on your Windows computer, you can transfer your library to this computer.
  • Actually, I did not have any distinction between actual zotero and Juris-M. When I installed zotero 5.0 on my win laptop, the sign in by the previous ID, it automatically sync database there.
    Now I want to install real zotero on my Mac (and copy my library from win laptop as you say later). How can I do? Even I delete all things relevant to zotero app on my Mac, and download zotero 5.0 then double-click for installing, it cannot run as what I gave you.
    Again, give me a fix technique for installing zotero, only actual zotero, on this Mac.
    Sincerely,
  • @tronghieu194 By switching to Zotero, you will lose multilingual and extended legal field data. Assuming that you are okay with that, and assuming that your library has been synced, here is what to do:

1. Find your Zotero/Juris-M data folder, as explained here.
    2. Rename the file zotero.sqlite to something like mlz-old.sqlite.
    3. Install Zotero 5.0.
    4. Open Preferences -> Sync and set your zotero.org ID and password there.
    5. Sync.

(Greetings from Nagoya, by the way -- don't be a stranger.)
  • (After going through the steps above, if you decide to use Juris-M, install Juris-M 5.0 and set up sync in the normal way. Juris-M 5.0 will not interfere with the operation of Zotero, but you will have to sync the clients separately, and you should run one or the other, not both at the same time.)
  • Dear Bennet sensei,
    I already installed zotero 5.0 completely thanks to your instruction. However, I want to keep all information associated with my current ID (tronghieu194). If I set up the new ID basing on the step 4, all data there will be removed from my computer, that I am not interested in. Now I wonder that whether I can keep the current ID (tronghieu194) and refrain from making the step 4, and whether my data will be persistent authorized under the previous operator who is Juris-M as my understading.
    Again, thank you very much for your help!
  • edited February 16, 2018
    @tronghieu Do not create a new zotero.org ID. Use the same ID on both machines. When you set your tronghieu194 ID in Zotero 5.0 on the Mac, sync will populate it with the content of your online library. I assume that that is what you want to do.

and whether my data will be persistent authorized under the previous operator who is Juris-M

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this. If your library is fully synced to your zotero.org account, syncing to the Mac will populate that local copy of Zotero with the content of your online library.

If there are items in your local Juris-M sqlite file (which you have just renamed) that are not synced to your account, then you will need to run Juris-M to read that copy of the library and sync it. But I assume that everything is in your online library, yes?
  • Dear sensei,
    I think I already ran the app on the right way and catch up whole my library with your fully meaningful instruction above. Thanks a lot with my best regards.