Restoring the library on mac.

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my very bad english.

My mac just broke but I luckily had the opportunity to export my library zotero urgently. I am now on a new computer and I want to recover my library.

But I can not.

In parameter -> advanced -> I chose the location of my library but Zotéro refuses the type of document in which I made my backup (incompatible).
I actually have a zotero.sqlite document and a docuement mylibrary.rdf but the software did not accept it.

Do you have a solution by chance? I do not know if it is useful to say that I am indeed desperate.

Counting on your help.

Thank you.
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup

(Ideally you would have the entire previous data directory — or at least zotero.sqlite and the 'storage' directory.)
  • Thank you for your answer, I had already read this link explaining the manipulation, but without success.

I created a new folder "Zotéro" (in which I placed my old backup folder with several files:
    "Files"
    "Locate"
    "My library.rdf"
    "Pipes"
    "Styles"
    "Translators"
    "Zotero.sqlite")
    and I created a "Zotero-Old" folder to move the empty library.

I check that the software is looking for the database in the new folder created.

Nevertheless, nothing happens when I restart the software. I do not understand.
  • Are those really the filenames, or are you changing them when you're typing them here?

The folder should be "Zotero", not "Zotéro", it should be at the root of your home directory, and everything directly under it should be lowercase. So you should have /Users/:username:/Zotero/zotero.sqlite, /Users/:username:/Zotero/storage, etc., and Zotero should be pointing set to use the default location (/Users/:username:/Zotero).

You don't need the .rdf file in there.
  • Thank you very much for your responsiveness but still nothing.

These are all the file names that I have (obviously, I do not have a capital letter). But I do not have a storage file.
    I also write Zotero, thanks for the correction.
    I deleted the my library.rdf file.

And I also check the location of the Zotero folder.
    Always nothing. However, when I open the folder that I saved, it does not empty (I have many files with many files that must match my database).
  • However, when I open the folder that I saved, it does not empty (I have many files with many files that must match my database).
    What do you mean by that? We really need specifics, exactly as you see them on screen.

What is the size of the zotero.sqlite file that you copied? And what exactly do you see when you start up Zotero?

Also, I can read French, so it might be easier if you write in that. (I'll still respond in English.)
  • Désolé pour mon anglais.

Je veux simplement dire que mon dossier de sauvegarde n'est pas vide, juste pour être sûr. C'était une précision.

Dans mon dossier de sauvegarde zotero effectué avant que mon ordinateur casse, j'ai :

Un dossier "files"
    Un dossier "locate"
    Un fichier "Ma bibliothèque.rdf"
    Un dossier "pipes"
    Un dossier "styles"
    Un dossier "translators"
    Un fichier "zotero.sqlite"

Avec les instruction sur le forum, j'ai donc copié tous ces éléments dans le dossier "Zotero" (/Users/:username:/Zotero) et j'ai crée un dossier "Zotero-Old" pour copier le dossier donné lorsque j'ai télécharger le logiciel sur mon nouveau ordinateur.

La taille du fichier "zotero.sqlite" est de 918 Ko.

J'ai bien vérifier l'emplacement du répertoire de donnée du logiciel (/Users/:username:/Zotero) mais lorsque je démarre Zotero, je n'ai pas ma bibliographie, juste une page d'accueil simple ("bienvenue dans Zotero").
  • 918 KB is an empty database. That's the only zotero.sqlite file you have in your backups? If so, unfortunately it means you didn't make a backup of the database you were using previously.

If you can't find any larger zotero.sqlite or zotero.sqlite*.bak files, you'll need to import your data from the .rdf file via File -> Import…, but that will create a new database, so those items won't be linked to any word processor documents, etc.

In the future, you would obviously want to make sure you were taking regular backups of your Zotero data directory (and, really, just your whole hard drive, using Time Machine and an external disk drive). You can also use Zotero syncing to make sure a copy of your data is available online.
  • Merci beaucoup pour vos réponses et votre temps.
    Effectivement, c'est bien ce que je pensais, vous confirmez mes doutes.

Je viens de retrouver une sauvegarde zotero.rdf datant de deux semaines sur mon cloud et j'ai pu l'ajouter à Zotero (je suis content, même si je perd deux semaines de travail..).

Mais je ne comprend pas pourquoi je n'ai pas pu charger le même document que j'ai chargé hier (c'est aussi un document rdf mais le logiciel ne peut pas l'ouvrir (le format n'est pas accepter, effectivement, l'icône du fichier représente une ligne de code et n'a pas la même apparence que mon ancienne sauvegarde).

Peut être que ma sauvegarde n'était pas complètement fini lorsque mon ordinateur à cassé..

Néanmoins, merci beaucoup pour vos conseils. Je viens de m'inscrire à une formation pour maitriser le logiciel.
  • What's the size of the "Ma bibliothèque.rdf" file, how are you trying to import it, and what's the exact message that you receive?
  • Justement le problème est ici : "Ma bibliothèque.rdf" représente 0Ko. Je pense que la sauvegarde ne s'est pas terminée. Pourtant, j'ai effectué la même manipulation...

Mais je reçois le même message : "Le fichier sélectionné n'est pas dans un format supporté.".

Je ne veux pas vous embêter plus, merci beaucoup pour votre aide. C'était déjà très sympa.