"Unlink your document and Zotero will ensure that the bibliography appears correctly on any device."

Dear community,

This is the first time I reach for help with zotero, which always work fine until now.

I try to send a part of my thesis to my director (who didn't use Zotero), and I want to avoid the problems we always have with the footnotes (they just became ugly, with no style at all, like no majs or italic). So, I try to "unlink" my doc and Zotero. But that's just make the style of the footnotes disappear.
I'm really disappointed because I always read "Unlink your document and Zotero will ensure that the bibliography appears correctly on any device." and in this case its just a lie...

How can I do ?
I use the style Annales histoire sociales, as I'm doing a PhD in French medieval history in a French university, and it's the most accurate style I found.

I try to edit the bibliography at the end of my chapter, and unlink again, but it's still don't work well.

I can make a copy of my screen if needed, but I really need help, as I have to send him that chapter really soon, and as he always get mad when the footnotes are wrong (and as I don't want to do it manually, or I will not use Zotero !!)

Thank you very much,

An upset user by now.
  • Please see https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems

It is not clear whether you are having problems with Zotero because of bugs or some misunderstanding. Try to isolate a behaviour that you think Zotero is not doing correctly and describe it step by step. E.g.:

1. In a fresh document insert a citation with Annales histoire sociales style
    2. Unlink field codes
    3. Styling for the footnote citation is lost
  • Sorry sometimes computers can be frustrated.

I did exactly what you suggest and styling of the footnote citation is lost as you say.

I also try your suggestion with an other style (modern humanities research association).
    When I unlink, the style goes away too (no more italic in the footnotes).

I will report it soon, but I want first to know if someone have the same problem, and if there is a solution.

Thank you for your answer,

• Which word processor and which Zotero version? Definitely doesn't happen in Word, but I think I remember this may have happened with LibreOffice in the past.
  • Some updates on my situation :

I reboot my computer = still not working
    I try the "debug" line = SNW
    I re-install Zotero = SNW
    I try on another computer (my laptop) = SNW
    I try on another computer after re-install zotero = SNW

I can't be the only one in this situation right ?

What can I try next ?

Thank you very much

• version => 5.0.34.5, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => fr-FR, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.34.5, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.10.SA.5.0.34.5, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.7.SA.5.0.34.5, extension), Shockwave Flash (28.0.0.161, plugin)

ID of my rapport : 1981138983

Thank you very much
  • PS : I'm using LibreOffice !
  • I'm afraid to say that LibreOffice has (apparently) never properly supported unlinking citations without losing styling. However, if you save the document using the .doc format and then resave as .odt, it will clear the ReferenceMarks without losing styling.
  • Thank you very much, it's working. Not the best solution because that have negative influence on the pictures etc, but better than having to do it again !

Too bad I don't have word because it's not free tough, that would be better.

Thank you very much to help me in a such little notice,

best,