highlighting not being seen

First off, I am new to this app, so this may just be the learning curve.

I have some articles that I am trying to read for a paper I am writing. As I just got a program for my Mac that lets me do some highlighting (Kurzweil), I had been reading my PFDs on GoodReader while on the go. Now I am back at my computer, ready to start pulling the items I highlighted in PDFs, and Zotero is not seeing them. I tried re-adding the items, thinking that would help. Nope. I tried highlighting in Preview (I don't use Adobe and Preview works great and I have a very small HD). Still no go.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the highlights be gathered into a note for the item? All the PDFs have a "parent" that is the info Zotero grabbed from the original website, so I should be seeing the highlights, right?

Thanks
Kelsy
  • So when you say that Zotero doesn't "see" the highlights, you just mean that they don't show up in notes, right? If you open the PDF, the highlights are there?

The ability to extract notes/highlights from PDFs is not a built-in Zotero feature. It relies on an add-on -- Zotfile: zotfile.com -- that you need to install. Even then, this doesn't happen automatically. You need to manually run "extract metadata".
  • Thank you. I thought it was automatic. Found what I needed.