Unpredictable success/failure in saving from Firefox to standalone Zotero

Sometimes I can save from Firefox to standalone Zotero (SZ) and, mostly, I can't. Sometimes, if I haven't launched SZ. and click on the toolbar icon, I'll get a message that (IIRC) I need to launch SZ. If I do, the link will be saved or I can again click on the icon in FF and it is saved. Memory hazy on this.

Bottom line, I rarely can save to SZ.

I submitted this error code but have my doubts that it is connected with the problem I've described: 2055388435.

Another problem I have is that I can't establish any kind of a default save option. Sometimes clicking on the icon results in saving with a snapshot of the page, sometimes not. I can't make the "no option" stick.
  • We'd need something more specific to be able to track this down, i.e.
    1) Specific URLs where this happens
    2) Do you have or don't have Zotero open when you're trying?
    3) Exact version numbers of Zotero, Firefox, and the Connector
    4) I don't exactly understand what you mean by "default save option"
  • Kindly forgive my delay in responding.

Yesterday, with SZ not launched, this page (Zotero) generated a message that Zotero not activated, “retry?”. SZ, after being launched and clicking on the retry button, showed the page had been saved.

Today, after an overnight rebott, with SZ not launched, wwwcity-journal.org did not generate this error message (“retry?”). When I launched SZ, it (SZ) appeared but clicking on the Zotero icon in my Firefox toolbar did not generate an entry in SZ. Switching back to this Zotero page, the same icon did generate an entry. Switching back to www.city-journal.org, I could not generate an entry by clicking on the icon.

Switching to www.zerohedge.com, I was unable to generate an entry by clicking on the toolbar icon. If I disable Ad Blocker on this site and www.city-journal.org the result does not change. Nothing saved and, if SZ is not initially launched, not popup window appears within Firefox to alert me to that fact and providing a “retry” option.

By “default save option” I mean that the Zotero icon installed on my Firefox toolbar has three options for saving a link: with metadata, without a snapshot, and with a snapshot. Which one will the operative (or default) one when I click on the icon changes randomly. Right-clicking on the icon brings up a menu. Under “Save to Zotero,” sometimes all three save options are listed as options. Sometimes is just the with or without snapshot options. I generally want to save without a snapshot and would like to have that be the “default.” (I don’t know what saving with metadata means.)

Firefox version: 58.0.1 (64-bit)
    Zotero version: 5.0.34.5.

I’m sorry. I don’t know what the “connector” is.