Editing Citations

Hi,
I'm using Zotero 5.0.34.6 with a Firefox plug in and Mac Word. I can no longer edit citations in my document. I've seen that other people have had this problem and that you recommended a fix that could be found in 'tools, 'check for updates' but I don't have that option in my tools bar. Help much appreciated!
  • What version of Word (e.g., 16.9.1) and what exactly happens when you click the Add/Edit Citation button to edit a citation ?
  • I'm working on the document on two different computers. My laptop has version 16.9 and my desktop is using 14.7.7.

When I put the cursor in the citation and click the edit button it comes up with a notification saying 'You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it'. All my citations were made using Zotero though
  • What style are you using?
  • The other thing to check would be -- what happens when you add a new citation and try to edit that. Does that still work?
  • Hi,
    I'm using Chicago Manual Style. It seems to work ok when I put a new citation in. I can edit it fine.
  • What file type are you saving your document as? It needs to be .doc or .docx.
  • It's a docx file
  • Also, I've noticed that lots of the citations in the document have become corrupted and repeat the information two or three times within the same footnote
  • I am now working on another document that I have also been looking at across multiple computers and i am having a different notification come up when I try to edit. With this doc. the fn does go grey when I put the cursor in it but when I try to edit it says:
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[prepareReadFieldCode:document.m:205]
  • and that's on the same Zotero version? I think this was an error with an intermittent version of the Mac Word integration, but should since be fixed.
  • Yes, same Zotero version
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. (Attempt to) edit the citation in Word and produce the error.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • I'm sorry to be a pain but I don't have an option in my Help menu for 'Debug Output Logging. I have: 'Support and Documentation', 'Troubleshooting and Information', 'Submit Feedback', 'Report Errors to Zotero' and 'Check for Updates'
  • Hi, I worked out how to do it.
    The Debug ID is D1544359583.
  • The Debug ID is from Zotero 4.0.29.15. You should update to Zotero 5.0, which should resolve the issue.
  • Thank you, that has worked. I really appreciate your help.