Presentation Export to Bibtex

In 2008 and 2013 there was some discussion about the lossy nature of the export of presentations to bibtex, but nothing seems to have happened.

Currently these go to the Misc type, which would be ok, but the meeting name disappears (e.g see the discussion here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/31683/bibtex-modifying-the-translator-solved).

This is problematic for a number of use cases, but I'll give you a specific one. A research group maintaining material in Zotero want to export a bibtex file to be used in an automagic website builder ... and they want to be able to list presentations given by the group ... this is not currently possible, since the meeting venue doesn't make it to the output. Similarly, ideally we'd want a DOI to propagate through too, as presentations are now getting DOIs in a number of venues (e.g. Zenodo).

I believe the right export would have howPublished="Presentation at [meeting name]".

• I now see that the way this is dealt with is different in all the various exporters. So I'm wrong as to "nothing has happened".

Bibtex goes to Misc, and has the problem above.

BibLatex seems to go
    type -> howPublished
    meeting -> note

Better BibLatex goes to Unpublished, and has
    meeting -> eventtitle
    type -> howpublished

BibLatex goes to Unpublished
    meeting -> note

I can absolutely live with Better BibLatex, especially since it respects the citation key introduced into note ...

• As a general rule, if you use Zotero with BibTeX, I recommend you use BetterBibLaTeX.
  • If you're unhappy with the mapping, you can change it using something like

if (Translator.BetterBibLaTeX) {
    if (this.item.itemType == 'presentation') this.referencetype = 'anythingyouwant'
    }