Zotero not functioning in Word on my Mac

Hello,

I'm using Zotero 5.0.34.4 on my Mac in Word 15.21.1 running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

I can no longer create a bibliography based on the citations embedded in the text. When I try to do this it either crashes and sends the following error message: The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:502], or it sends me to the screen to edit a Bibliography (but none exist).

Also, Zotero has been getting more and more buggy over the last week--when I try to enter a selected citation, it is very slow to insert the citation, sometimes changes my location on the page, and I often get an error message saying it was unable to insert the citation due to an error.

Thanks for any help!!!
  • 15.21 is an outdated version of Word 2016. You should update to the latest version (currently 16.19.1).
  • Thanks! Updated word, but now when I try to create a bibliography Zotero gets caught in an endless cycle through the pages of the document. When I close the word doc I get the error message:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:437]
  • Can you reproduce that in a new document? You might need to update your OS to at least El Capitan too. Yosemite is not officially supported by Apple anymore and this new version of Word (16.9) has been released after Yosemite support ended, which could produce weird behaviour.