Mac Word error: @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1342]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Word plugin errors with Word 2016 for Mac version 16.9.
  • Hello,

I have the same problem (Report ID: 526171444). I am getting this error message:
    'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.' The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error - 1728.)@[InsertFieldRaw:document.m:1342).

I have un-installed the plug-in, re-installed the plug-in, updated, restarted the computer, and also tried it in a blank new document. It continues to give the error.

Is the only way trying to downgrade from Word 16.9?

Thank you.
    Hannah
  • @HannahAdzakpa which Zotero version exactly are you using? No, you shouldn't need to downgrade
  • @adamsmith - I am using the newest one available (5.0.34.4)
    I just checked again, but there is nothing newer available.
  • Does this happen in a new document, too, or only in an existing one?
  • Also in a new new one. With the exact same error message. I tried several times, also with re-starting and opening a brand-new word document before doing anything else.
  • This is usually not recommended, but you should try reinstalling Zotero.
  • @adomasven - Why is not recommended? Do I risk losing my bibliography?
  • No, it just doesn't usually help, so it is normally a waste of time unless someone on these forums specifically recommends it.
  • @adomasven and @bwiernik - I have reinstalled Zotero. Still the same error. Should I downgrade Word? I would really like to solve this problem asap.

New Error Report ID (after reinstalling Zotero): 91753410

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1342]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]
  • @HannahAdzakpa What citation style are you using? Does it work if you instead use APA? In Word if you go to Word -> About Microsoft Word, is the build number 180125?
  • I'm having this issue too. It is only when I attempt to insert citations that are notes. In-text works just fine.

'"The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1342]"'
  • @scarnecchia Could you answer all of the questions above your comment?
  • Zotero 5.0.34.6 is out now which should resolve this problem. Do report if you get any other issues.
  • @adomasven I updated to this new version now and the problem persists (OSStatus error - 1728.)@[InsertFieldRaw:document.m:1342 which gives you a combination of zeros behind the actual note number in the main text 00.00.00 00:00:00).

Interesting observation: I encounter this problem only with citation styles using footnotes so far, endnotes using styles/options seem to work fine or at least don't show this error.
    However endnotes don't work for my papers.
  • Could you use the step 8 from debugging broken documents instructions to isolate the problematic citation(s), copy it into a new doc, ensure that it is still broken in that new doc and email the doc to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and steps you take to reproduce the broken behaviour?
  • @Lionhearts could you also submit a Report ID?
  • @adomasven I am not really sure how to do so. Is it just the Report ID of the original thread opener HannahAdzakpa?
  • @adomasven I see. So the Report ID says 1512173774.
  • Does it help if you reinstall the plugin in Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors and restart Word?
  • Unfortunately not. I just tried it after your message and it still appears the same error.
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Click Add/Edit Citation in Word (select a footnote style, if prompted)
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Ok, here you go: D502197866
  • Do you have any non-default Word settings enabled?
  • No, not really. I mean, I tried to change the standard font from Calibri to TNR some time ago, but that worked fine. Now it seems when I open a new document that it has changed back to Calibri.

But I encountered something interesting, independently from the font type: If I leave an extra space between the text and the spot, where I wanted to put the note and select that extra space, I don't get the error anymore and can just put the footnote as before. That's very odd, but it seems to work...
  • If you insert a footnote in Word manually, does your cursor jump to the footnote automatically? If you insert the footnote manually first and the try to insert the citation within the footnote, does it work well?
  • Yes, manual footnote jumps automatically down. And yes, by inserting a footnote manually and then adding the citation works fine.
  • You're currently the only person reporting and able to reproduce something like this. Could you try creating a new user account on your computer (using a Guest account might work) and testing whether footnote styles work there? The expectation here being that some setting change from a long time ago might be interfering with plugin working properly and a new account will have default settings.
  • Yes, I've tried now using a newly created account and I didn't encounter the problem there.
  • See the microsoft answer on how to reset Mac 2016 settings to default, try it on your main account and see if that fixes it too.