The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file

This discussion was created from comments split from: Word plugin errors with Word 2016 for Mac version 16.9.
  • Hello when I try to install the word plugin for my Mac I receive an error I am running Word 16.9.1 and the most recent update of Zotero 5.0.34.4. The error I receive is Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. [Exception..."The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:installl.m:223]" What is the fix for this error if there is one. I have tried uninstalling Zotero as well as reinstalling Zotero over the previous install to no avail.
  • Could you submit a Report ID?
  • The report ID is 1085542041. I apologize for the delay in submitting it I had to look up how to generate one. The Debug report ID is D1043789388. I hope this helps to resolve this issue.
  • Do you have older versions of Word installed on this Mac?
  • I did at one point but I upgraded to the newest version a few months ago and that removed the older versions that were on my computer
  • The Zotero Word plugin installer is finding something either under /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app or /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app and attempting to install there, but failing. Are you sure you don't have anything in those locations?
  • YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!! Thank you so much that was exactly what the problem was. Apparently when Microsoft Office Updated itself it did not remove the old office folder. I removed it and now the Microsoft word add-on installed without a hitch. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! I was actually getting worried because I had an assignment due and was getting concerned about the kinds of acrobatics that I was going to have to perform in order to use the program properly.