Speed issues in Standalone

This follows from a previous thread about zotero crashing ...

@adomasven wrote "the speed issue is separate [to the crashing issue] and seems to have begun when we started signing our plugin macros. The crashing has started occuring earlier. Some of the users seem to be experiencing both issues, some only one, but not the other. Simon's build doesn't include the signed macros, which is why that solves the speed issue."

I hate to say this, but I am still having speed issues now I have reverted to Simon's build word integration files again. It is not as bad as when using the newer files, but still very slow compared to the response times I have been used to. It seems to me that the issue is more than just word integration - The system is also running very slowly when I am performing operations within standalone (i.e. not only when citing in word).
  • Could you produce some Debug IDs from Zotero?

1. With the crash testing fix after restarting Zotero insert 2 citations at the end of a document that has 10 citations with APA style.
    2. Repeat the above procedure with Simon's build.

You will need to enable debug logging after restarting Zotero first for the above and submit the debug IDs after finishing the procedures.

Could you also try:
    3. Using the plugin with the crash testing fix after having disabled any security software you use and reporting whether you see any difference in the amount of time it takes for the citation dialog to show up?
    4. Try the crash testing fix with an alternative Zotero.dotm file (a) from this comment and report whether you observe any speed difference in the amount of time it takes for the citation dialog to show up?
  • Here is the debug with the crash testing fix D1280034400
    And with Simon's build D1565425577

(I could not do these as part of the same procedure as I need to close zotero to replace the files in windows integration files)

3. - I don't have control over my security software as this is a university machine
    4. - will do this shortly
  • It looks from the link as though I need to be able to complete 3 before testing 4. Sorry can't do.

Is there no way, I can go back to a version of Standalone from e.g. Sept and just stick with that for now? I'm in the last 6 months of my PhD and the speed issues are really problematic.
  • The only speed difference that could have come from us since September would have been related to how long it takes for the citation dialog to show up from clicking the button.

Otherwise, the speed of Zotero citation inserts depends on the size of the document and the number of citations in them. If you've been working on a document for a while and increasing the number of citations, the slowdown would have been gradual but inevitable and not related to changes on our end (and there haven't been any).

We are testing a new citing feature on the beta channel of Zotero that allows to disable automatic updates to citations within a document (like ibid updates and renumbering), which speeds up inserts a lot. It is still a bit buggy, so if you are going to try that, you should make frequent backups of your document.
  • I'm no technical expert but I'm wondering whether the newer versions of zotero are requiring higher performance from the machine's hardware. My laptop was several years old and I have now been upgraded. On first testing, the citation issues appear to be resolved and the citation inserts quickly.

Have another presenting issue (as on another thread), but thought it might be useful to update here.