Operation timed out while attaching copy of a pdf-file

I use "Store Copy of file..." menu to store pdf files in Zotero library.
Sometimes files are lost ("Cannot locate the file") after processing (takes several seconds, the file is accessible from Zotero during that time) and "Operation timed out" message appears. Removing the broken item from library and repeating the procedure from the beginning with "Store Copy of File..." works as expected. Usually it happens with large pdf files (> 2 MBs).

The problem is hard to reproduce. pdf-files can be stored correctly or incorrectly with equal probability, thus I have to double check accessibility of pdf-files after storing them.

Report ID: 836744693
  • If you're able to provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for this, that would better let us track it down.
  • edited February 7, 2018
    Debug ID is D1015108577.
    I kept checking if the attached file is accessible from Zotero by double click, and it was during first 30 seconds. After processing the file "File Not Found" window appears.
  • edited February 7, 2018
    Does this happen with ZotFile disabled?
  • Removed ZotFile, the problem persists. Yes, it happened before ZotFile installation.

Debug ID (without ZotFile): D743119910
  • OK, thanks. There was a bug where operations that took longer than 30 seconds could fail if another operation was waiting for it. I've fixed that in the latest Zotero beta.

Unfortunately that still means indexing of those files is taking longer than 30 seconds. If you have a large library and many large PDFs, and/or if you've increased the default indexing settings in the Search pane of the preferences, that might be possible. We're hoping to improve indexing speed in a future version.

In the meantime, one thing you could try, when you're able to leave Zotero alone for a while (e.g., overnight), is to click Check Database Integrity in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the preferences, which currently also rebuilds the database and might speed things up a bit for you. (That rebuilding will happen in the background in a future version.)
  • Thank you, I'm glad to know that it's fixed!
    I'm fine with the time it takes to process large files, but anyway thanks for recommendation!
  • I should add that, while I fixed a general issue that caused instability (e.g., failure to add the file) when this happens, and I fixed a specific issue that could cause an auto-sync to fail if another operation was ongoing, there are still other actions that might be delayed or cancelled after you add a large file if it takes that long to index.

So we'll keep working on this, but let us know if you encounter other problems.