Speed drop in window pop-up of Add/Edit Citation in MS Word (2016)

Report ID: 1663363536

I have noticed that on the FIRST TRY OF A NEW SESSION of performing the Add/Edit citation via the Microsoft Word plug-in, it is particularly slow (takes about 7 seconds) to open up the window in which I can search and add my citation. After this, the speed is great of that window opening, but I know from the previous software version (from, let's say, March 2017), it was not an issue (and the speed of Zotero is very important for me). Before installing the new version today, it was better before.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Sincerely,

John Doe
  • What specific versions of Zotero (e.g., 5.0.34.4) and Word (e.g., 16.9.1) are you running?

Can you submit a Debug Log ID for an attempt to add a citation that is very slow?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

The Zotero developers are aware of this issue—it's related to the just-released new version of Word, which was released suddenly and changed many parts of the program that Zotero uses to connect with Word. They are working on fixes.
  • Hi There!

I run Zotero version 5.0.34 on windows 7 professional 64-bit. MS Word is version 16.0.8431.2110, 32-bit.

Here is the Debug Log ID: D556205904

Thanks for replying so quickly and very pleased to hear that the developers noticed this problem and are working on it! :)

Good luck to the entire team!

Cheers!

• We are aware of the issue and it's related to us recently starting to sign Windows Word macros to allow to run the plugin in restricted environments. There is currently no solution, but depending on severity of this we might look into a workaround
  • @Victorpera: When you say "first try of a new session", do you mean the Zotero session, the Word session, or the computer session? That is, do you see the slowdown immediately after restarting Zotero, Word, or your computer?
  • So initially I meant a new Word session. After further working with Zotero from the last mentioned version, I have noticed that adding anywhere a new citation, the process has variable speed, but still slower than general. It is different every new Word session.
  • edited January 30, 2018
    OK, two files for you to try:

If you're still having trouble, here are two files for you to try:

https://download.zotero.org/tmp/2018-01-30-winword/a/Zotero.dotm
    https://download.zotero.org/tmp/2018-01-30-winword/b/Zotero.dotm

Can you save those to disk and then copy each one into your Word startup folder separately and see if there's a clear difference in speed between the two? (There may not be, but this will help us narrow down the problem.)

Instructions for finding your Word startup folder are here:

https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#locating_your_word_startup_folder

(It's probably just the default location listed at the bottom. There should be an existing Zotero.dotm file there that you can overwrite.)

You'll need to restart Word after copying each file to test it.
  • Ok, I've tested them!

When using the /a/Zotero file, I've noticed when adding the first 3 times some random single citations in my constructed text were slow (between 7-9 seconds). The situation seemed similar like before replacing the file.

When using the /b/Zotero file, the first citation window took aprox 22 seconds to open up, the second one 7 seconds, the third one 2 seconds. Also, I have noticed that when I wanted to edit a citation, the already added citations were not visible in the zotero citation window in Word and when adding the new citation, the citation numbers didn't change (e.g. it showed "5,6,7" in the text, I was expecting "5,6,7,8", but it didn't happen.). I have rechecked this with the /a/Zotero file, and that one seems to be handling the editing part in the citation properly. (maybe this helps: http://puu.sh/zcOdA/c725828e2e.png)

Let me know if you want me to clarify something.

PS: Also in 2016 Word version there is no office button, but "file" button, just like in 2010 version.
  • @Victorpera do you run any security software? If you do, could you test the (b) file after disabling said software and restarting Word?

We are specifically looking for the delay between pressing the add/edit citation button and when the citation dialog shows up. Citation editing time varies independently, depending on which item you decide to insert and where in the text.
  • @Victorpera: There shouldn’t actually be any functional difference whatsoever between these files, and it would be very surprising if there were a speed difference, so along with testing the same part of the file and following the exact same steps, be sure to restart Word a few times while you’re testing each to make sure you’re not seeing normal speed variation from other things happening on your computer.

Note too that the first window to appear after restarting Zotero will be slower, so you should leave Zotero open (or, if you restart it, be aware of that when assessing the speed).
  • @adomasven : I use eset nod32 antivirus software. I have tested the b file while having disabled my antivirus and it seems that the speed is well improved and closer to the "old" situation of good speed.

@dstillman : yes, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have noticed the first time getting the add/edit citation window is the slowest.

Having this tested now, do you want me to retest both files again, while having the antivirus disabled?
  • edited February 1, 2018
    I have tested the b file while having disabled my antivirus and it seems that the speed is well improved and closer to the "old" situation of good speed.
    Can you reliably affect the speed of 'b' by enabling or disabling the antivirus? That is, you disable it and it becomes fast, and you re-enable it and it becomes slow? (If it's somewhat variable, it might be easy to perceive a difference from limited testing that's not actually there.)

If so, yes, it would be great to know if you see the same thing with 'a'.
  • Hi there,

Pardon me for not responding for such a long time, the recent times have been very busy for me...

Let me know if you find it still useful that I perform the above described actions. I will have some time in the weekend.

Sincerely,

V