Advancing the development of Zotero

Hello,

Suppose we were able to fundraise for developing a certain feature for Zotero, would there be a possibility to turn do this "within the community"?

Let me explain some assumptions.

(1) We can of course pull the source and submit a patch. But that may not get accepted, or not get accepted soon. For usability, we'd not want to "fork", but integrate.

(2) Let's suppose that the feature is on the road map anyway, so it's just a question of fast-tracking it (rather than adding a detrimental or hard-to-maintain feature).

(3) Let's suppose that the feature cannot be done as an add-on, or isn't desirable to be done as an add-on. (E.g. it might be a usability feature for Zotero itself.)

The questions are:

(A) Would the Roy Rosenzweig Center staff want to directly engage with this / have the capacity to do this / can hire capacity to do this?

(B) Would we need to find a developer to do the development independently? If so, are there people on this list? Also, would some degree of cooperation be possible, so that the patch can be merged timely?

Let me know what you think!
  • I don't work for Zotero so this in no way an official statement but in the past Dan has said that the answer to (A) is no, they do not have the capacity or ability to hire for this but (B) that they'd be willing to help with some sort of bounty system or some other way for community devs to receive some compensation (i.e. mainly to review proposed solutions and code). You're most likely to be able to find suitable people by posting to zotero-dev (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/zotero-dev ) though depending on what you're after you might not find someone there.
  • Thanks, that's very helpful!