Saving a link (on a page) to Zotero

Hi all,

Is there a way to save a link to Zotero? (Similar to the "save link as" functionality in browsers.) Clearly if the link is a webpage, that's more complicated, but e.g. for links to PDFs it would be handy.

Bjoern
  • edited January 24, 2018
    For PDFs, you can either drag the link to Zotero or (if your browser is set to preview PDFs, which is usually the default setting) click on it and use the Save to Zotero button from there. An upcoming version will also allow Zotero to save PDFs that are sent to it via the OS, so that if you're not previewing PDFs in the browser you could still choose to open a PDF in Zotero from the browser and have it be saved.

Saving links via the context menu used to be possible in Zotero for Firefox and we're hoping to restore the feature, both for PDFs and for webpages (but as you say, the latter is more complicated for technical reasons).
  • Many thanks - that's helpful!

When you say "you can either drag the link to Zotero" you mean from the address bar? That does work, as dos the button of course. It's not possible to drag a link from a page to Zotero, right? (e.g. as if you were dragging it to the bookmarks bar)

Thanks!
  • Yes, you can drag a link from the page. The only time that might not work properly is if the page is faking the link (e.g., on some Google search results where the link is actually an intermediate google.com page rather than a link to the PDF itself).
  • Interesting. I'm on the latest Zotero stand-alone for OS X (5.0.34.4) and dragging a link (which is embedded in a page) from chrome to Zotero doesn't work...
  • Yeah, seems like that's not working from Chrome for some reason. It works from Firefox and Safari. We'll take a look.
  • OK - thank you so much! Would be great to have this!
  • Hi @dstillman - just checked this in the latest beta, and it's still not working for Chrome... Should it be working?
  • No, this isn't yet fixed. I'll post here when it is.
  • Just to add: Issue described here (by dstillman) https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1425 and seems to be issue in Chrome!
  • Hi: I am not able to "save a link" on Chrome/On Firefox for non-PDF files.

Specifically, I am trying to save links to PPT files. It (the action) creates an empty entry on Zotero (both browsers).

Zotero: V5.0.60 standalone
    Chrome: Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Firefox: Quantum [V64.0.2 (64-bit)]

Kindly help.

SRoy
  • @dstillman - any news on this?

@r_somnath - can you explain the problem again? Via right-click? Or dragging?