Linked Attachments and Groups

Hi,

I have already read some discussions about Linked Attachments in Groups. Nevertheless I have one small thing that I am struggeling with.

We are trying to build a group library for our research group. I am using Zotfile to handle PDF attachments. (Rename, move to custom folder, add linked attachment). When I try to drag n drop an Item from my personal library to the group library, I lose the attachment. I am aware that this is because of the fact, that linked attachments are not supported in Group Libraries. I would be OK with attaching the files directly (instead of using links), which is required for sharing them in the group library, however I do not want to lose my folder structure (in which the pdfs are stored thanks to zotfile) and the ability to use zotfile to rename the attachments. The only options I have encountered so far are:

1) Use normal file attachments with Zotfile instead of linked attachments (downside: I can not specify the folder in which all PDFs should be stored, which I definitively want)

2) Use linked file attachments in the personal library with zotfile and attach the pdf manually after I moved an Item to the group library.

Am I using everything completely wrong or am I missing an option? Or is it just how it is?

Thanks for your comments,

Felix
  • You can use Zotfile to rename files without moving them (This is what I do). What you can’t do is have a separate folder structure on your computer outside using Zotfile’s move functionality and keep smooth functioning with Groups.

My main recommendation for you would be to consider if you really need that folder structure on your computer. Years ago, I just started letting Zotero handle my files behind the scenes, and it’s never been difficult to just let Zotero manage them and always access files through Zotero (which I basically always did anyway). Is there something that you actually lose by accessing files through Zotero?
  • Hi bwiernik,

thanks for your comment. That is basically what I am doing right now. I do not really mind losing my folder structure. However as I want to establish the zotero library at our chair, I want to make the transition for people as easy as possible. As most of my colleagues right now do have a folder structure and do not use any library manager, it would be helpful for them to be able to keep their folder structure while using or starting to use zotero. (In fact, some of them will not agree to use zotero if they cant access their pdf directly through a folder structure anymore, especially older professors :) )

Maybe a crude workaround is to use saved searches (in Windows) to access the PDFs in the Zotero/Storage folder. But I really don't see why Zotero is still not able to work with user specific file locations (as Mendeley or EndNote already easily do).

Cheers