Error: "The update could not be installed"

When I start Zotero 5 for Mac standalone, (with Zotfile 5 also installed), it does two strange things. First, it immediately starts a second copy, so now the icon is showing twice in the toolbar. Second, it gives me a popup with the message "The update could not be installed. Please make sure there are no other copies of Zotero running on your computer, and then restart Zotero to try again", and *simultaneously* another popup asking me to authorise an update (which I do). It does not say whether Zotero or Zotfile is being updated. When I quit, only one of the copies goes away. I have to force quit the other one.

I have tried restarting Zotero, with the same result.

I have tried re-installing the latest versions of both Zotero and Zotfile by hand from scratch. The problem then goes away for a while, but re-occurs later (presumably at the next software update).

Any ideas how to fix this?
  • I'm having the same issue.
  • Delete Zotero from /Applications, delete /Users/:username:/Library/Caches/Zotero/updates (which you can access by holding down Option and selected Library from the Finder's Go menu), and then reinstall Zotero from zotero.org.
  • edited March 15, 2019
    I have a dual boot windows-ubuntu box. I'm getting this problem with the current update from 5.0.60 to 5.0.62. However, my windows boot (where the problem occurs) does not have the locations in your post: /Applications, /Users/:username:/Library/Caches/Zotero/updates. How to fix the problem that I cannot install this update, please? My system also hangs connecting to the Update Server, what to do? Report ID: 27236872
  • edited January 30, 2021
    @psod: Those are Mac file locations. On Windows, the equivalent would be uninstalling Zotero via Windows, deleting C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Zotero\updates, and then reinstalling.
  • Thank you dstillman! This worked for me on a Mac.
  • @dstillman Thank you! This worked for me on Windows, too
  • hi i have this issues on windows i am worred if i uninstall it will remove all my work!
  • thanks, I did this and downloaded to my Windows system again and it asked me to restart but it is not installed, so i tried again but it still is not installed and I can't see a fix anywhere or what is next step. Any help is appreciated, the edge connector is still on the browser toolbar.
  • @jillylady: You'd have to say exactly what the issue is. Obviously if you run the installer, you should have Zotero installed.
  • i will try shutting down, i can get access to the online site, though it hadnt saved my recent studies :)
  • thanks dstillman, I had the error update cannot be installed, and it said to close any other zotero i had opened. But i only had zotero open once on myn my windows PC. I then uninstalled zotero. I then went to zotero and downloaded it. Zotero 6.0.27_setup.exe. I then then got a message saying extracting files, and then it said i would have to restart to complete. When I restarted zotero was not installed. I searched and i still did not find it. So i did it again and same thing it restarted but it is nt on my pc. I cant see anything else i can install, i have the edge connector, i uninstalled that too and reinstalled but nothing! thanks
  • @jillylady: Go to C:\Program Files (x86), delete the "Zotero" folder, and restart your computer. Then try the install again. Any existing data won't be affected.
  • Wow thanks so much dstillman, that worked a treat much appreciated. It also soled a couple of other wee glitches in zotero.
    I wonder do you know how i can get a zotero tab when I am using onedrive, or 365 online as I cant seem to see how to get that thanks very much again. it is great to have it working again
  • @jillylady: Please start new thread for new threads, but Zotero isn't currently available in Word Online.
  • thanks appreciate will do best wishes
  • Hi dstillman, TI didn't have the file C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Zotero\updates, but Zotero still gives the message of "The update could not be installed. Please make sure there are no other copies of Zotero running on your computer, and then restart Zotero to try again" what should i do?
  • princess-: You should do what I say above: go to C:\Program Files (x86), delete the "Zotero" folder, and restart your computer. Then reinstall from the download page. Any existing data won't be affected.
  • 可是我一开始就安装在d盘了,找不到你们说的这个文件位置
  • @sjy1201: You would have to figure this out on your own computer. If you installed to some non-standard location, you can find the location from the shortcut you're using to launch Zotero.