unlink citations - system crashes

I have two related issues, both have to do with removing the connection to zotero.

1. I have written my phd thesis using zotero. Not is finished and has been proof-read by a professional proof-reader. I want to make sure that the document she has sent back to me, with corrections in the footnotes remain as edited, and thus I want to unlink the references from zotero and just have them plain text. Every time i try to do that, zotero freezes and i need to do a force quit. The document with the dissertation is about 300 pages long with just under 1000 footnotes, so it is pretty big, but zotero should be able to handle that, right. I use a mac book air, word 2017 and the standalone zotero which should be updated. What do i do?

2. another text, which has also been formatted and fixed, this is a shorter text, about 15 pages. When I try the unlink citation button, it is asking me to specify which reference style i want to use in the document. Why does it do that when i want to UNLINK the citation, i don't want zotero to change anything in this document, but if i specify Chicago Manual of Style, I suppose it will anyway?

• edited January 20, 2018
    Edit: First see adomasven's post below

1. How long have you let it run?
    If you're in a pinch, removing all _Word_ field codes would have the same effect. I believe on a Mac that would be cmd+a --> cmd+6 but I'm not sure about the second part. If that doesn't work try cmd+shift+F9

2. Can you replicate that in a new document? We have never seen this before I believe, the only thing I can possibly think of is that the citation style last selected for the document isn't available locally. Even then it shouldn't happen, though. Could you just make a copy of the document and see what happens when you select a citation style?
  • edited January 20, 2018
    You are likely running Word version 16.9, which we've just added support to, but foot/endnote support is still buggy. If this is urgent, your best bet is to downgrade to 15.41 and disable Word updates.

Otherwise you can wait for the next update within the next 24 hours that should improve/fix note bugs and allow you to remove codes properly.

Edit: Also see adamsmith's response above. Field code removal from footnotes might actually work with the current version, but for a document with that many citations you might indeed have to let Zotero run for a while and let it do its thing.
  • Just to update this, Zotero 5.0.34.4, which fixed footnote handling in Word 16.9, has since been released.