Environmental Health Perspectives style: suppressing periods after journal abbreviation

Can you suggest how to suppress the periods after journal abbreviations? For example, I'd like to cite "Environ Health Perspect" instead of "Environ. Health Perspect." Thanks!
  • Is that an error in the style?
  • Yes it is, just submitted PR
  • edited January 19, 2018
    Awesome, thanks adamsmith! Do you know how long it would take?
  • The style was updated in the repository.
  • Thanks LiborA! I still have trouble with the periods. Also, when I deleted my previous EHP style and installed the new one from the repository, the updated date was 8/7/2017. Just wondered if this was the correct file.

To be clear, the periods only appeared when I checked "Automatically abbreviate journal titles." if I didn't do that, some journal titles were full, some were abbreviated.
  • I see date of style in the repository 2018-01-19
  • Yes, on the repo it is 2018-01-19, but on Zotero (preference) it's 8/7/2017. Maybe the date doesn't matter, but I didn't see any change in the style when I checked the automatic abbreviation option.
  • You have no updated style. Try to install the style manually.
  • I removed the previous style from my Zotero, downloaded a fresh csl from the repo, and added it manually to Zotero. Restart Zotero and Word multiple times after removing and adding. Nothing changed. Should have I done differently?
  • You can click on the style in the Zotero repository. It should be installed automatically. If it is downloaded (instead of installed) then double-click on the downloaded file. You have to see message about installation the style into the Zotero.
  • That was what I did (a few times). Just to be clear, the periods only show up when automatic abbreviation is on. If this is off, there's no period after journal title abb., but some journals are shown in full title (e.g., Environmental Health Perspectives instead of Environ Health Perspect). This doesn't conform with EHP guidelines.
  • If you turn automatic abbreviation off, then the abbreviations are pulled from your Zotero library data (where you likely don’t have periods). The full journal and being printed would be because that is stored in the Journal Abbr field or because that field is empty.

Try to use the style in a fresh empty Word document. Do you get periods?
  • @bwiernik Yes I tried a fresh word document too and the periods were there. Am I the only one who got this? I assumed you two had no periods when you tried on your documents?
  • Correct. I am not getting periods, which leads me to think that you don't have the current version of the style from the Zotero repo installed. Remove the style in Zotero. Then in the Cite pane of Preferences, click Get Additional Styles and search for the style from the repo, then click the style title and try again.
  • @huyenle1 Could we get a sample citation as you're seeing it just to make sure we're not talking past each other?
  • @bwiernik and @adamsmith : I got the correct result finally -- but not until today (I didn't change anything in my Zotero since my last attempt yesterday). I tried many many times yesterday using fresh cls files and fresh word documents but it didn't work. Anyway, thank you all for your support!