Update Bibliography in Word document to include changes made in Zotero

I inserted a bibliography into a word document, but after looking through it I noticed some formatting issues (e.g. all-caps, no italics, etc). I went back to Zotero, edited the document titles to look like I want, then go back to the word document and click "refresh" on the Zotero toolbar, but the changes that I made to items in Zotero are not reflected in the bibliography (except for the one item that I merged duplicates - that one did get updated). I've also tried selecting the bibliography text and deleting all of it, then re-inserting a bibliography. No dice. How do I get Zotero to look back at its database and update references?
  • If I remove all citations to a particular article from the document, refresh the bibliography to ensure that it's gone, then add all of the references back in one at a time, and refresh the bibliography again, THEN it updates. But shouldn't it be easier than starting over?
  • It sounds like the items may not be linked to their corresponding Zotero items? Did you delete items (e.g. duplicates) in Zotero after you inserted citations in the document?
  • ...and now it's updating as I would have expected from the beginning. I don't understand what's going on...