Translator not loaded for French national catalog of academic libraries (sudoc)

I posted earlier on zotero-dev (!topic/zotero-dev/Kp54deoZy5I ) without any success, I hope this message will draw more attention :)

Sudoc is built using PICA software and up to some week ago, the translator "Library catalog (PICA)" was loaded perfectly when visiting the site. This is not the case anymore and when you visit a record ( for example ) the only available option is the web page save.

The issue is that if you open Zotero with Scaffold extension installed, and use the browser to visit the record indicated above, the "Library catalog (PICA)" does appear in the matching translator list. So I assume the translator is still ok for the website, the issue is that it is not found within the browser when visiting the page. I had opened an issue on based on the assumption it was related to the connector but it seems this forum should me more suitable for this issue.

I know this translator, I am amongst the people having developed it but I have not been able to find the origin of the error so if someone with more knowledge has any idea that would be great! Sudoc is the catalog for all academic libraries in France so it's a problem that Zotero is not working with it :(
  • Regarding the translator not even loading, try following this comment for the sudoc library and report here.

    I can see the issue with saving from the search results. Seems like if you load then it works fine, however by default the library serves the results at (note the missing xslt just after domain name), which makes all the subsequent URLs also follow that signature, which ends up serving documents in PICA XML format instead of plain HTML. Seems like there is some JS in the PICA catalogue that tries to rewrite the URL, but fails with newer versions of browsers (Zotero is based on Firefox ESR). Even with a modern browser this likely wouldn't have been a problem before the switch to XHR processDocuments. On the other hand e.g. goettingen catalogue works fine. Translator folk will need to look at this.
  • Thanks @adomasven the suggested debugging option from the other thread seems to do the trick as I am now able to see the correct icon loaded on top (even if it seems to be a bit delayed compared to the way it was working before).

    With this debugged connector loaded, it seems that the two different URLs for list are both working fine.

    The only issue is that I don't see the bottom right pop-up showing but I assume it might be related to the "debugging" status of the extension.
  • You're saying you don't see the popup in the bottom-right corner when you click save but it's still saving to your library?
  • Sorry for not being clear @dstillman: yes the record is saved, I just don't see the popup saying "Saving to". But record appear in my library afterwards.
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector?

    1. Open the Zotero Connector preferences right-click the extension button and select Options/Preferences.
    2. In the Advanced tab of the Zotero Connector preferences, check the box next to “Enable Logging.” Do not close this tab.
    3. In a new tab navigate to the page that doesn't display the progress indicator, wait for it to load, save a record and wait some time for it to finish saving.
    4. Go back to the Advanced tab of the Zotero Connector preferences, uncheck "Enable Logging" and click Submit to Zotero Server.
    5. You will be provided with a Debug ID (e.g., “D12345678”). Please post the Debug ID in this thread.
  • Also, you can now install the Beta release of the Connector instead of the debug build.
  • @adomasven the debug ID is D125632480
    I have installed the beta release. The translator is loaded and record is saved but as previously I don't see the temporary popup in bottom right corner.
    I am using Ubuntu 16.04.3 with FF 57.0.4 but I imagine you get all this information using the debug id.

    If you need more information please let me know.
  • Hmm. Do you get the popup for any other page (e.g. this one)? If you install the release version, do you get popups?
  • Trying during the same session to get a record from Jstor I get the pop-up yes.
    Using the release version, the translator is not loaded so I am not able to replicate the test.
  • Could you test the beta release with all other extensions disabled?
  • Hi @adomasven I have tested using a new profile (firefox -ProfileManager) and the only installed extension is Firefox connector beta, and the popup is still not there :(
  • @adomasven : do you know if there is any estimated date for the release of a new connector including the patch that seemed to make things work for SUDOC catalog in the beta ? [even without the popup, that is still an improvement].
  • A new version of the connector has been released with the fix for both Chrome and Firefox. You can switch away from the Beta track now.
  • Thanks @adomasven . The good news is that it now works on individual records, and the popup is even showing!

    But trying to save an item from the result list generates an error message. I have generated a debug report D973362613 and it seems that the title is not saved. I am trying with the page and the first item of the list. As previously, it is working withing scaffold so I assume the issue is still related to the connector and the way it interacts with recent versions of FF (58.0 in my case).

Sign In or Register to comment.