Can't insert Zotero bibliography into LibreOffice document -- many Java errors

I am following the technique whereby I save a Scrivener document as ODT and convert the scannable site citations inserted from Zotero in the document to the format I want using RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero (https://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/).

Once inside LibreOffice (into which I've installed the Zotero plugin) all seems to work fine -- my citations come up.

But when I try to insert a bibliography I get errors like this:

An error occurred communicating with Zotero:

com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:185)
at com.sun.proxy..compareRegionEnds(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.prepareMultiline(ReferenceMark.java:469)

I googled this error and I'm not the first -- the only answer I found was to do various steps, such as copying the entire text to another document. But I cannot copy any of the citations (end notes) -- they will not let me copy them: they're all surrounded by grey boxes and won't copy and paste).

I removed and re-installed the Zotero plugin from LibreOffice and it told me I needed to downgrade my Mac to Java 6, which I did. In LibreOffice itself, under the advanced options, I am offered the choice between two JREs, both of them 1.8.0_151. For what it's worth I am running MacOS 10.12.6, LibreOficce 5.0.3.2 and Zotero standalone 5.0.33.

This is quite frustrating -- any help appreciated!
  • If you go to LibreOffice and just insert a citation and a bibliography into an empty document, does that work?
  • In the interim I figured out how to get it to work -- I was trying to insert the bibliography at the end of the document, after the citations. This led to the errors above. When I inserted the bibliography _between_ the end of the text and the start of the citations, it worked. Thank goodness! Is there some section of the Zotero docs I should read up on so I don't make stupid mistakes like that again (although it would be nice if it just worked)....