Migrating Zotero from opening in Firefox to opening in Chrome

I tried to use Zotero this morning and it wouldn't open when using Firefox. Reading the forums I discovered I should migrate to Chrome. I deleted Zotero, downloaded the newer version and reinstalled it using Chrome. When I try to open it in Word I keep getting the "... could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is running..." message.

What else do I need to change? I have read many other posts and tried many different fixes, any other advice please?
  • I don't know why you thought you should migrate to Chrome? The main thing would be that you need to install Zotero Standaone from zotero.org/download
  • Thank you Adam. On that page I find Zotero 5.0 for Windows, which I had already downloaded. I find Zotero Connector, which I had previously downloaded, and I find Plugins which doesn't seem relevant - am I wrong? I do not find a Zotero Standaone. I still get the same error message.
  • and when you open Zotero for Windows, you don't see you library?
  • Adam I have downloaded everything again, I have stopped trying to migrate to Chrome, I have started using firefox again, and all seems back to normal. I obviously misread the post on the zotero home page which on first reading I believed to say that Chrome was the browser of choice. All I needed to do was to install the Firefox Connector, which I think is the Zotero Standalone you were referring to.

I was confused by different terminology referring to the same thing. All sorted out now. Thank you.
  • edited January 8, 2018
    "Zotero Standalone" is the former name of the separate program — what's now just called "Zotero" (for Windows, Mac, or Linux) — when there was also a full-featured "Zotero for Firefox" Firefox extension. Now there's just Zotero and the various Zotero Connectors.

Explained further here: https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-unified-zotero-experience/
  • Thank you. Sticking to one term would have been very useful. All sorted out now.
  • Except... I don't have a Z button on my toolbar in Firefox. It is not available as an Add-on in Firefox and it is not available in the Extension Pane. I have tried searching for it, to no avail. Grateful for your additional assistance.
  • This is explained on the page I linked to.
  • I am sure that this is perfectly obvious to you, but I am struggling. Zotero Connector is open and available. I am in firefox and there is no Z button which 'the unified experience' says will be there. I read both of the links and additional blogs trying to resolve this before coming back to you. Grateful for your assistance.
  • edited January 9, 2018
    I am in firefox and there is no Z button which 'the unified experience' says will be there.
    It doesn't say that — it says the opposite, in fact. If there's a specific line you don't understand, quote it here and explain what you don't understand.
  • "the new Zotero Connector for Firefox, which provides the same “Save to Zotero” button in the Firefox toolbar that you’re used to"

Thank you.
  • edited January 9, 2018
    Yes, and the blog post shows a picture of what that button looks like. The "Save to Zotero" button is not (and has never been) a Z. It's the same dynamic icon that has always existed, which changes based on the webpage you're viewing (book, journal article, etc.). The "Z" button no longer exists, because you now open Zotero as a separate program rather than opening it from the browser.
  • The dynamic button does not exist on my firefox. I am sure that when I was researching for my Masters degree a number of years back it was a Z button. That that is not material. The button for saving to Zotero does not seem to be available. Please would you assist.
  • You're misremembering this. The Z button opened the Zotero pane. That no longer exists. The "Save to Zotero" button has always been a book, journal article, newspaper, etc., and still is.

If you're not seeing the dynamic button, you likely haven't installed the Zotero Connector from the download page, as explained in the FAQ. (But if you had Zotero for Firefox installed before you also would've automatically been upgraded to the Zotero Connector, unless you uninstalled Zotero for Firefox.)
  • I did install it from the download page, but I also did (as mentioned in line 2 at the beginning of this discussion) delete (uninstall) Zotero. I know this is frustrating for you, but it is even more frustrating for me. I will try reinstalling.
  • Resolved. Thank you.
  • Great.

(And just to clarify, there's no need to ascribe frustration to the people helping you here — we're happy to help. But we can only do so when you explain exactly what's not working or what you're confused by.)