Formatting of HTML file after opening not preserved

I have exported a group of references from my main Zotero library using APA 6 Annotated format to an HTML file. When I open that file with a browser the formatting opens fine in APA style, but when I open it in Zotero it's unformatted, apart from each new reference being on a new line. What am I doing wrong?

If, after I've worked that out, and hopefully cutting out the unwanted references, I'll then be interested in editing that file to enable an external HTML file to locate the references cited in that external file -- setting up a set of anchors and links.
Can I then export that modified set of references -- the HTML file -- into odt or PDF format?
You see there'll be a set of external files, like, but not really the same, as chapters of a book referring to a master list -- the bibliography,
  • what do you mean "Open it in Zotero"? Zotero can't open HTML files. I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to do overall, so it might help if you could take a step back and explain your overall goal.
  • What do you mean “open the HTML in Zotero”? Zotero isn’t a browser, so I’m not sure what you are trying to do by opening an HTML (webpage) file in Zotero.

For your second question, I’m really not sure what you are asking. Could you describe generally what you are trying to do overall? I think you are making things much more complicated than necessary? What is your overall goal here?