Adding citations

Help: I have completed a document, sent it in to publishers for proofing. They send it back with recommendations. However, now when I try to add a new reference to the writing numbering starts over at 1. The Editors use End-Note. Do I need to go back to an original make all of the corrections over or retype the article? Its a chapter of 50 plus pages. Is there an easier way?
  • Yeah, they did something with the document to remove the Zotero field codes.
    No option in Zotero, but Word has a "compare document" option (in Word 2016 in the "Review" tab) that you can use to merge their changes into your original document (that still has the Zotero citations).
  • Sorry. Wasn’t sure I was clear. I sent a note back to the editors and they sent me my previous document. This should be fun. Thanks so much. Anybody else have this problem? What’s the best way to manage.
  • The problem isn't Endnote -- it's opening/saving the document in some way that removes Word fields. Not sure what they're doing on the publisher's side, but it's fairly common for that to happen with publishers and if you have to change citation info in a significant way after getting the document back, using compare document is the best way to go.
  • Hi, I resolved the issue with rewriting the document. Now I am having another problem. As I rewrite and add references the new references are visible in the article but others which were previously accepted are greed out but are not included in the active Bib. Any idea what is going on?
  • I am not sure how to describe the situation. However references in th bibliography are not matching the document. Some references were entered earlier when the field codes were corrupted. And there are reference numbers in the final document that don’t exist. For instance there is a number I.e in document it has a number 75. There are only 32 references.
  • My problem is to make sure the reference number in the document needs to match the actual number in the reference list. This has never happened. Before and all leads back to the corrupted fild codes. Is the only way to fix it to start over? Or could I copy the doc and reinsert all references. Do I have to retype and reinsert references.
  • So currently, if you're adding a new reference, it gets added to the bibliography, but with the wrong numbers, am I understanding this correctly?

If so, I'd try these: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents that should be fixable.