text in standalone program not displaying / ZoomText / Windows High Contrast

Hi.

I'm a legally blind history PhD student with a new computer. I need to use ZoomText screen reader/magnifier for my work, so the new computer has that program (this is the only difference I can think of between this and the old computer, which has an updated, working standalone program too).

My problem is that once I downloaded Zotero onto my new computer and transferred my data, Zotero would not display any text, not even the menu titles/content. I can tell my items are there, because I can at least hear from the screen reader that the content is there.

I've tried turning Windows High Contrast on and off, restarting my computer with every change. I've tried changing the color preferences on ZoomText on and off. I've even tried uninstalling Zotero and reinstalling it. Nothing changes that there is no text in my standalone.

I've googled and searched the help forums here and on Windows, but I can't find any topic quite like this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
  • Hi,
    Commiseration. I have the same problem with a student I am training assistive technology. Zotero don't get on well with Zoom Text. In this respect text is not shown on the menus and the panes. Visually is impossible to work at all.
    Still haven't found a solution. Hope someone else is reading this thread and we can find solution collectively?
    Best wishes,
    Boyko