Separated Zotero-Collections (like Citavi-Projects) ?

Assume I work on very distinct projects, like for example a paper in chemistry and a newspaper article on local history.

How would I set up two separated projects in Zotero to accommodate for this, i.e. depending on which project I work on, I would select the appropriate collection of references in Zotero and would only see these (but not the ones from the other project).

Citavi offers to separate collections into different 'projects' and a Word document is related to one project only. Does Zotero offer something similar (I searched around and played with Zotero but couldn't find anything)?
  • Using groups would be one way to do this. https://www.zotero.org/support/groups
    They're originally designed for collaboration, but can absolutely be used to structure ones projects as well.
  • Thanks for the hint to this workaround, however it doesn't seem to be working for me as I intended to use Zotero in offline-mode, i.e. not synchronizing it with the cloud.

Are there any other options to separate collections into different projects with a non-cloud Zotero installation maybe? If not, will it be implemented in the near future?

Seems like Citavi is still the best software to be used (at least in my use-case) for the time being. But I will check for Zotero's progress from time to time as I like the open-source approach and the availability on Linux.
  • Many thanks for this hint - it seems to work, although a bit cumbersome with the command line options.

In case some developers are reading along here: Since the functionality is already implemented, it would be great to have this option available from the Zotero GUI directly as well (without the need to work on the shell). Shouldn't be too hard to implement I hope. Just a button which allows to select the Project/Profile.
  • You only need to use the command line once to set up a second profile. After that you'll get the profile manager at startup and be able to choose between the profiles.

This is just borrowed Firefox functionality, and it won't be changing anytime soon.