Paragraphs for cases in Chicago Manuel of Style 17th edition (full note)

Dear all,

I use Chicago Manuel of Style 17th edition (full note). As I am a legal scholar, I often refer to case law and use for this the document type of 'case'. However, in the footnotes the paragraphs that I insert as metadata do not appear or only very occasionally. Does anybody experience the same issue and has a way of solving this?

Thanks!
  • I’m not following exactly what the issue is. Could you give a specific example. If you are a legal scholar, you might find Juris-M, a version of Zotero with extended legal citation support, to be very useful. http://juris-m.github.io
  • Thank you for your answer.

When I insert a reference to a case in footnote and I want to refer to a specific paragraph of the case, the reference to this paragraph does not appear in the footnote. Only the name of the case is displayed and very very rarely the paragraph. I have no idea why.
  • Okay, open the Add/Edit Citation window for that citation. Click on the blue bubble for the case item, then click the Page dropdown and change it to Paragraph. Enter the paragraph number in the field. Save the citation.

Does that work?
  • That are the exact steps that I normally follow. It is just not properly displayed in my Word document. In particular, the paragraph that I inserted is not shown.

I assume a mistake was made in programming this particular citation style in Zotero.
  • edited December 25, 2017
    @adamsmith I can confirm that for Cases in Chicago 17 (full note), locators aren't shown on the first citation, only on subsequent citations. Is that an error according to the manual? Other item types, including Bill and Legislation, include the locator.
  • sounds like a bug -- I'll take a look, but checking through CMoS requirements and modifying the styles always takes a bit longer, so might be a bit.
  • Hi all, has the problem been fixed? Thanks
  • no, not yet.