Inserting subsequent citation manually

For a book I use a custom made note style for citations in footnotes. There are also a large number of examples, ie music examples, scanned from musical sources. The publisher wants each example to have a caption exactly like a "subsequent" footnote citation, and I am wondering, whether I can either insert that citation manually from Zotero, ie I select the item in Zotero and copy a subsequent citation to the clipboard, or whether there is another way to do this more elegantly. Is it possible to paste a field with a subsequent citation into a caption?

I guess the simplest solution would be a way to copy a citation in the "subsequent" format into the clipboard, but I cannot seem to find a way to do this in Zotero.
  • Zotero CSL styles can automate “subsequent” formatting (e.g., see Chicago style).
  • How do you mean? I know that using the Word plugin I can do that, but this doesn't seem to work here, as it is a "note" style, and I need the citation in a graphic caption (which is a scan from the source).
    I can make a citation in Zotero and paste it, but it will, as far as I can tell, always be a full, first instance citation, not a subsequent.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't think I can insert a citation using the Word plugin as a graphic caption, when I am using a "note" style.
  • I’m not really following exactly what you want. Can you provide a specific example?
  • I actually do understand this. There's no built in way to do this, but I see two possible workarounds:
    1. If you only need this a couple of time, just have the Zotero Style Editor (Cite pane of the preferences) open, set it to your citation style & position subsequent and copy& paste from there.

2. If you need this a lot, create another version of your citation style that doesn't have the full citation (i.e. the citation section just ends with else... and what you now have as position="subsequent") and set this up for quick copy so you can shift+drag citation versions.

Obviously neither of these creates citations linked to the bibliography, but there's no way to do that in captions. If the same citation doesn't appear anywhere else in the document, you'd have to add it to the bibliography using Edit Bibliography.
  • I guess No 2 is not such a bad option. I think that some key commands for making citations as first and subsequent should be added though.
  • I don't think so. It's a fairly marginal case and the potential for things to go wrong -- people using it incorrectly, people being confused because the position doesn't update anymore, etc. -- is rather significant. I'm pretty sure this would cause more issues than it solves.